Slow website RRS feed

• Question

• User-1880291108 posted

Hello,

My question is regarding server setup. My website is responding too slow, it's a website which has to compute a lot of a data. I was wondering if a server upgrade could change that? 

The current setup im using is: 

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2660 @ 2.20 Ghz      with    6.00 GB RAM

For my website i use: ASP>NET MVC 2

Is their a way to measure if a server upgrade would benefit the speed of my website?

Does anyone know where i can rent/try a better server?

Kind regards,

Kriest

Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:30 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

There are usually a variety of ways that you can actually improve the performance and load times of your sites and applications without having to adjust your hardware, which I would recommend attempting first (since these optimizations are basically free).

The Web Developer Checklist

If you want an excellent resource that encompasses a variety of methods to improve your website or web application, I cannot recommend the Web Developer Checklist enough.

It features tools and resources that can help you analyze several aspects of your site including : 

• Best Practices (ensuring that your markup is in good condition and features like spell-checking)
    • Mobile Analysis (checking that your site works well on Mobile devices)
    • Analytics Checking (tools for uptime monitoring and traffic analysis)
    • Performance (including Google PageSpeed Insights, Yahoo's YSlow and tips to optimize your sites Headers and Images)
    • Usability (tools to check HTML5 compliance , Search-friendly URLs and more)
    • Accessibility (ensuring your site can be accessed using screen readers and has appropriate contrast levels)
    • SEO (tools to analyze how accessible and readable your site is for Search Engine crawlers and more)
    • Code Quality (CSS, Javascript and HTML validation tools)
    • Semantics (checking for additional data within your site)
    • Security (checks for best practices for securing your site and preventing nasty things like XSS)
    • Social Media (checks if your site is properly connected up with social media sites like Twitter and Facebook)

There is also an ASP.NET-specific version available on the site as well and one that focuses specifically on ASP.NET Performance. It's probably one of the best single resources that I have found for improving nearly all aspects of a website or web application.

If you need some additional resources relating to code optimization and finding ways to improve your application in general, check these out : 

Third Party Web-based Analyzers (Highly Recommended)

• Using Google PageInsights - Google's PageInsights can help you find areas of improvement and offers suggestions on how to get your site running faster.
    • Using Yahoo's YSlow Analyzer - Very similar to Google's PageInsights, YSlow looks for areas that you can check to improve the performance of your site.
    • The Web Developer Checklist for ASP.NET Performance - An incredible resource with a variety of different categories, tools and resources for improving your sites performance and finding areas of weakness. (I can't mention this enough)

Best Practices-Related

• Microsoft .NET Framework Guidelines and Best Practices This covers a variety of topics and guidelines that are suggested by Microsoft and the Community to help write and maintain high-quality code and applications.
    • Microsoft's Patterns and Practices Site - Although very similar to the site mentioned above, this features nearly all of Microsoft's technologies and patterns and practices that you can use to help write maintainable code and properly design applications.
    • The Web Developer Checklist - While not specifically related to code optimization, this checklist can be an excellent tool to help speed up the overal performance of your web applications and sites. You can read more about it on my blog post that covers it in a bit more detail here.

Profilers and Code Optimizers

• ANTS Performance Profiler - This profiler is a great tool that can be used to analyze your code and find areas that can be improved and reveal areas where possible issues or problems could arise. A 14-day free trial is available.
    • Resharper - Resharper in my opinion is the single greatest tool available in the .NET Development world. It provides code suggestions for improvements as your develop your applications, which allows best practices to easily become habit. Code Quality analysis. Error Elimination. Code Testing. It really is an incredible tool that I couldn't recommend enough. A 30-day free trial of it is also available.
    • EQATEC Profiler - Much like the two tools mentioned previously, the EQATEC profiler allows you to run analysis to find improvements and areas of weakness within your code with one major difference, it's free.
    • The .NET CLR Profiler - While it lacks many of the features the above fully-featured third party profilers have, it is a free tool that will allow you to analyze memory allocation, heap and stack usage and a few other things related to your .NET applications.
    • Related Stack Overflow Discussion on the "Best .NET Profilers

Overall, I would recommend checking out the online analyzers like Google's PageSpeed Insights, which will show you exactly which areas of your site are slowing you down and could be improved and the steps necessary to do so.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:42 AM

All replies

• User540310021 posted

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2660 @ 2.20 Ghz      with    6.00 GB RAM

6 GB is a lot of RAM

You may want to implement caching in your website.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:33 AM
  • User-1716253493 posted
    The problem not from computer spec or from alot of data, but the problem because you calculate the data and join while filtering data. I suggest you to calculate the data when inserting or updating data. Store calculated value to db. Avoid many join. You can also use GridView RowDataBound to make calculation or getting other table. If the GridView has pagesize 10, you only need to calculate it 10 times.
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:07 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

The first time is to time or profile your code to see where this time is spent. Double check also what you are doing makes sense. For example sometimes we see one trying to render a huge HTML page (so the time is spent in transmitting a huge content and in client side rendering for example).

How is computation done ? If massive computation it could be more efficient to do that in a server side stored procedure rather than getting a massive amount for data, compute them on your server side web tier and then save the results. 

Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:26 AM
  • User281315223 posted

There are usually a variety of ways that you can actually improve the performance and load times of your sites and applications without having to adjust your hardware, which I would recommend attempting first (since these optimizations are basically free).

The Web Developer Checklist

If you want an excellent resource that encompasses a variety of methods to improve your website or web application, I cannot recommend the Web Developer Checklist enough.

It features tools and resources that can help you analyze several aspects of your site including : 

• Best Practices (ensuring that your markup is in good condition and features like spell-checking)
    • Mobile Analysis (checking that your site works well on Mobile devices)
    • Analytics Checking (tools for uptime monitoring and traffic analysis)
    • Performance (including Google PageSpeed Insights, Yahoo's YSlow and tips to optimize your sites Headers and Images)
    • Usability (tools to check HTML5 compliance , Search-friendly URLs and more)
    • Accessibility (ensuring your site can be accessed using screen readers and has appropriate contrast levels)
    • SEO (tools to analyze how accessible and readable your site is for Search Engine crawlers and more)
    • Code Quality (CSS, Javascript and HTML validation tools)
    • Semantics (checking for additional data within your site)
    • Security (checks for best practices for securing your site and preventing nasty things like XSS)
    • Social Media (checks if your site is properly connected up with social media sites like Twitter and Facebook)

There is also an ASP.NET-specific version available on the site as well and one that focuses specifically on ASP.NET Performance. It's probably one of the best single resources that I have found for improving nearly all aspects of a website or web application.

If you need some additional resources relating to code optimization and finding ways to improve your application in general, check these out : 

Third Party Web-based Analyzers (Highly Recommended)

• Using Google PageInsights - Google's PageInsights can help you find areas of improvement and offers suggestions on how to get your site running faster.
    • Using Yahoo's YSlow Analyzer - Very similar to Google's PageInsights, YSlow looks for areas that you can check to improve the performance of your site.
    • The Web Developer Checklist for ASP.NET Performance - An incredible resource with a variety of different categories, tools and resources for improving your sites performance and finding areas of weakness. (I can't mention this enough)

Best Practices-Related

• Microsoft .NET Framework Guidelines and Best Practices This covers a variety of topics and guidelines that are suggested by Microsoft and the Community to help write and maintain high-quality code and applications.
    • Microsoft's Patterns and Practices Site - Although very similar to the site mentioned above, this features nearly all of Microsoft's technologies and patterns and practices that you can use to help write maintainable code and properly design applications.
    • The Web Developer Checklist - While not specifically related to code optimization, this checklist can be an excellent tool to help speed up the overal performance of your web applications and sites. You can read more about it on my blog post that covers it in a bit more detail here.

Profilers and Code Optimizers

• ANTS Performance Profiler - This profiler is a great tool that can be used to analyze your code and find areas that can be improved and reveal areas where possible issues or problems could arise. A 14-day free trial is available.
    • Resharper - Resharper in my opinion is the single greatest tool available in the .NET Development world. It provides code suggestions for improvements as your develop your applications, which allows best practices to easily become habit. Code Quality analysis. Error Elimination. Code Testing. It really is an incredible tool that I couldn't recommend enough. A 30-day free trial of it is also available.
    • EQATEC Profiler - Much like the two tools mentioned previously, the EQATEC profiler allows you to run analysis to find improvements and areas of weakness within your code with one major difference, it's free.
    • The .NET CLR Profiler - While it lacks many of the features the above fully-featured third party profilers have, it is a free tool that will allow you to analyze memory allocation, heap and stack usage and a few other things related to your .NET applications.
    • Related Stack Overflow Discussion on the "Best .NET Profilers

Overall, I would recommend checking out the online analyzers like Google's PageSpeed Insights, which will show you exactly which areas of your site are slowing you down and could be improved and the steps necessary to do so.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:42 AM