Convert text to graphic

Question

• How do I convert a text string into a graphic so I can use it on a Canvas?

John... the original Visio MVP (since 1993) Visio.MVPs.org

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:17 AM

All replies

• Either DirectWrite or RenderTargetBitmap.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:21 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you, those will be easier to Bing on than the generic terms Text and image.

This is a follow on issue to something we talked about last year. I created a WP7 that used a storyboard to scroll text at a large font size. Before release I found out that there was a memory restriction. As you increased the font size, the text was clipped. No crash or error message, the text was just clipped. So, the larger the font size, the fewer characters were displayed. The workaround was to break the text into smaller chunks and place them in a series of TextBlocks within a StackPanel. It worked great and the app was released. Then came WP8 and the larger screen sizes. For the larger screen sizes, the text length was now less than a character, so reducing the number of characters per segment was no longer an option. I did try Transform/Scale, but that did not help. So now that my other apps have been upgraded to 8.1 I am back trying to fix the Banner app. So, hopefully converting the text to an image and then scaling will work.

John... the original Visio MVP (since 1993) Visio.MVPs.org

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 2:17 PM