Using Same Xaml file for both Windows and Web application. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello Everyone,

We are making an WPF application with the same functionality and GUI both for Windows and Web application.

For this, I want to create a single XAML file for both Windows and Web application.

Can anyone tell me how do i achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sunny.

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:47 AM

Answers

• Page could be used in standalone WPF applications, you can generalize the situation by using Page instead.

Hope this helps
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:29 AM
  • For some examples on how to do this, check this dockingControl demo. The 2 demo apps are in both xbap and normal app using the same code.  The main window of the app simply uses a page that gets shared among both xbap an normal app.  A custom msbuild script is used to share comon code across 4 apps.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:13 AM

All replies

• There are a couple of ways you can do this. 
    -First of, you can always copy the files over to a different project, but that's probably not what you want. 
    -You can put all the common stuff in a seperate lib which both xbap and normal app use.
    -put all the common stuff in a common directory, make a msbuild script for them which you can include in the build scripts of both applications.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Hi bragi,

Thank you for answering.

One thing I am concerned about is the root element of the Xaml file. For the windows application, normally it is <Window> and for a web application, it is <Page>.

So how can i create a XAML file in a Class library (do i need to add a 'Page(WPF)' or 'Window(WPF)' to the Class Library project) and how to make it more generalised so that i can use it both for Windows and Web?

Regards,

Sunil Jain.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:06 AM
  • Page could be used in standalone WPF applications, you can generalize the situation by using Page instead.

Hope this helps
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:29 AM
  • For some examples on how to do this, check this dockingControl demo. The 2 demo apps are in both xbap and normal app using the same code.  The main window of the app simply uses a page that gets shared among both xbap an normal app.  A custom msbuild script is used to share comon code across 4 apps.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:13 AM