Not asked for password or any creds RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I am used to logging into my website and then click File and the edit web page using.....Front Page or EW3. It seems to me that whenever I do this and edit with EW3 it skips the log in requirments that I am used to. I know that EW3 has the site tab where you can post your changes via an FTP based program and you provide your log in info there but I hate FTP and don't use it unless I am forced...I am a hard person to accept change in that respect and I expect the log in requirements. So is this new and I don't have to or is something broke. Seems to me that if I can do it then everyone can too.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:03 PM

Answers

• We use WinInet to handle the connection to your remote site for FPSE and WebDAV sites.  WinInet, by default, will first ask Expression Web for credentials, then will try to log in with your Windows credentials, then will try an anonymous connection.  If any of these succeeds, you will not see a prompt for your username and password.  My suspicion is that the anonymous connection is succeeding but that it, of course, lacks the permissions to do what you are trying to do.  Hence, the error message.

There are two alternatives:

1.  Copy your site to your local drive.  Edit the files there, then upload them to your live site using FPSE.  If you enter your credentials in the Connection Settings dialog, we'll pass them on to WinInet and you should not get prompted and should not have permission issues.

2.  Open the full remote site for live-editing in Expression Web.

What you are trying to do, browsing to a random page in your web browser, then trying to edit that page in Expression Web, is not a fully supported scenario.

Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web

Monday, May 24, 2010 2:33 PM

All replies

• EW will save your FPSE credentials just like it saves your FTP credentials so you don't have to re-enter them. Other than the connection method EW treats publshing the same regardless of which method you used to connect.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:18 PM
  • "is something broke."

Nope.  It's a feature - enjoy it!  EW remembers your credentials and you don't have to re-enter them.

"Seems to me that if I can do it then everyone can too."

Not unless you are letting them use your machine and your copy of EW - which, in addition to being careless security, would violate your EW license.  I assume you aren't really doing this.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Nope not doing any of this...I have spent two days with the support staff at the host of my website and they tell me that everything is ok...but in reality if I try to make changes to the website using the old way as in Front Page where you go into the website via a browser then click File and Edit with Expression Web 3, there isn't a popup box asking for my login creds. When I make changes and attempt to save I get "The server could not complete your request: Permission Denied. 302 Found, Found the document has move." Again, I don't have an opportunity to log in. Putting the login creds into the site management "publishing" doesn't help except if I use FTP. My webhost has stated that they use Unix and its possible that the Microsoft technology being used hasn't caught up with them....

What I found odd I loaded my old copy of Front Page 2003 and find that when I try to make changes as usual it won't ask for the login creds either.. hummm.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Hmm, OK, this is information that you didn't provide in your OP. I, and apparently others, given the responses, didn't know until this post that you were unable to save your edits. I personally consider live editing to be such a risky, bad practice that I will limit my participation in this thread to the suggestion that you provide all of the relevant information in your posts, lest, as in this case, respondents misunderstand what your issue actually is.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:38 PM
  • First, editing live is a bad idea.  But if you want to, do it not by using your browser, but by using EW.  Open EW, open your remote site in EW, then edit it.  What happens then?
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:58 PM
  • We use WinInet to handle the connection to your remote site for FPSE and WebDAV sites.  WinInet, by default, will first ask Expression Web for credentials, then will try to log in with your Windows credentials, then will try an anonymous connection.  If any of these succeeds, you will not see a prompt for your username and password.  My suspicion is that the anonymous connection is succeeding but that it, of course, lacks the permissions to do what you are trying to do.  Hence, the error message.

There are two alternatives:

1.  Copy your site to your local drive.  Edit the files there, then upload them to your live site using FPSE.  If you enter your credentials in the Connection Settings dialog, we'll pass them on to WinInet and you should not get prompted and should not have permission issues.

2.  Open the full remote site for live-editing in Expression Web.

What you are trying to do, browsing to a random page in your web browser, then trying to edit that page in Expression Web, is not a fully supported scenario.

Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web

Monday, May 24, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Thanks to everyone who posted...as far as the comment regarding not posting all information there was a good reason I didn't...I didn't have it. It took another day and a half with the hosting company support staff. Finally was able to upload via FTP but as far as the "live-editing" it's still a no go. Good news for all you folks who recommend against this policy.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:35 PM