locked
Using the New PIN Logon Feature

    Question

  • Hello,

    I noticed there's a new option to create a PIN to use for logging into the system. How can I use it? I'd prefer using 4-digit code when working in system rather than type my 20-digit password each time I need elevation when working under Windows Live ID (WLID).


    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:05 PM

All replies

  • On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:05:49 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

    I noticed there's a new option to create a PIN to use for logging into the system. How can I use it? I'd prefer using 4-digit code when working in system rather than type my 20-digit password each time I need elevation when working under Windows Live ID (WLID).

    Create a PIN and log off. When you log on again, you'll have the choice of
    using your PIN or your password. Not sure how it works with UAC as I've
    currently only got an administrative user.


    Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Shift to the left!  Shift to the right!  Pop up, push down, byte, byte,
    byte!

    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:08 PM
  • The thing is, the OS does not offer PIN logon. I already created the PIN and still am asked to enter WLID password! UAC is enabled because, as I was told, disabling UAC will render it impossible to use Metro apps.


    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:16 PM
  • On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:16:24 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

    The thing is, the OS does not offer PIN logon. I already created the PIN and still am asked to enter WLID password! UAC is enabled because, as I was told, disabling UAC will render it impossible to use Metro apps.

    I didn't say that I'd disabled UAC, I said that I'm using an administrative
    account that while I get prompted to elevate, I don't need to enter a
    password or PIN to do so.

    I don't know what to tell you about not being prompted for a PIN. I enabled
    the feature, logged off as instructed and then when I logged on again I was
    prompted for the PIN and had a link on the logon screen that allowed me to
    choose to logon with my password instead.


    Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.  -- Robert Heller

    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:26 PM
  • On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:16:24 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

    I don't know what to tell you about not being prompted for a PIN. I enabled

    the feature, logged off as instructed and then when I logged on again I was

    prompted for the PIN and had a link on the logon screen that allowed me to
    choose to logon with my password instead.


    Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.  -- Robert Heller

    I am too using account which is membering the Administrators local security group. And yes, the elevation prompt does not prompt for entering PIN neither does the Metro logon UI.

    I'll doublecheck  it and let you know.

    Thank you for your help.


    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Bump! I enabled the PIN logon, I created the PIN and still do NOT see any request or edit box where I could enter the PIN. What am I doing wrong?
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:55 AM
  • If you open User Account there should be an option to setup the Pin.

    I use it myself, so quick and easy too, just type it in and my desktop appears.


    Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Exotic Hadron,

    when you at the login screen, Do you have a link say Logon options under password field?  If you do, click on it and if should give you option if you want to using PIN or password to login.

    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Andre,

    Of course, there is an option. But it only allows you to set the PIN. When on Logon screen, you don't see the option to use the PIN Logon.

    As far I understand it, this is a security measure enabled for a domain-joined computer.


    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hi Eric,

    No the only options I see are the Submit button next to password field, button for disabled people, and shutdown button.


    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Are you in a domain environment? If so, for domain accounts, picture password and PIN logon are disabled by default by Group Policy, as these are inherently less secure.

    You can test unjoined to the domain and you should get a Logon options under the password field. Then you can enter the pin.
    The next time I logged on, it just asked to enter the pin.

     

     


    Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:31 PM
    Moderator
  • On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:37:04 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

    As far?I understand it, this is a security measure enabled for a domain-joined computer <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/da381ad4-6bfc-42b0-b4c8-f2d2fffe2533>.

    You're reading this thread backwards, PIN and Picture logins are, by
    default, disabled for domain logins.


    Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers.  -- Tom
    Lehrer

    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:21 PM