ODBC connection with SQL Anywhere RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a data migration project that requires data migrating from Sybase SQL Anywhere to SQL Server 2005. I had done similar projects (not with Sybase) before and able to query data in sql query analyzer using odbc. However, I am finding it difficult in linking sybase with SQL Server.

Steps I did:

• Install sybase SQL anywhere in the server inclusive its driver. This can be found at http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1016644 (developer edition).  This will install driver called "Adaptive Server Anywhere 9"
    • Once above done, I created ODBC and connected Sybase Central using the ODBC. SQL Anywhere comes with userid -DBA and password -sql in order to have this connection. I could connect to Sybase SQL Anywhere using ODBC.
    • Now I wanted to create link server in MS SQL Server 2005 to that sybase database so that I can query syabase using ms query analyzer  and I was not able to establish this link . I have sybase and ms sql both  installed in the same server and also sybase installed remotely in another server. I did all avenues to create link servers but I am not able to establish.

Anyone can give me any information on this, that would be really appreciated.  If you need any extra information , just let me know.

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Some quick questions here:-

1) Is it 64 bit or 32 bit OS and Sql Server 2005

2) Whats the error description when you create a link server, pls paste the error msg here.

Regards

Rojit
    Monday, May 31, 2010 7:28 AM