none
ADO.NET Oracle connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect to Oracle db for every 10 sec from a n application running 24 hrs.

I often get the error:

Error: Database error:
    Exception: OCIHandleFree failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available.

I contacted Oracle support. they say nothing wrong with oracle. check with microsoft.

I am not sure why that error is coming in ado.net code written in vb.net. please help me.

THanks!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:34 PM

Answers

• Based upon your description it sounds like you might be experiencing a resource problem. Do you open and close connections as needed or are to trying to maintain a persistent connection to Oracle.

As Karen mentioned, you should post your code and identify where the exception occurs.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Aryaa Monday, June 4, 2018 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:28 PM

All replies

• Not seeing any code so I would suggest not re-using a connection object (encapsulated into a using statement) but instead create a new connection each time it's needed and when finished dispose of that and any other objects used.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Based upon your description it sounds like you might be experiencing a resource problem. Do you open and close connections as needed or are to trying to maintain a persistent connection to Oracle.

As Karen mentioned, you should post your code and identify where the exception occurs.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Aryaa Monday, June 4, 2018 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:28 PM