Avoiding Dual Maintenance w/ WML and HTML? (newbie question) RRS feed

• Question

• User-184505905 posted
    Greetings. I'm brand new to the wireless arena (as you'll soon see). I've been given a heads-up about a project coming my way: I need to develop a wireless app that will support both WML and HTML. After throwing together a test page using existing business components, I'm operating under the following assumptions:

- the HTTP_ACCEPT server variable can help me determine the capabilities of the client

- If that variable contains "vnd.wap.wml" the client is a wireless device, and if it also contains "wap.xhtml" it supports browsing of regular HTML pages.

Based on those two assumptions, I guess my plan is to redirect clients to pages in a WML or HTML subdirectory. My question is, is there a way to avoid maintaining two sets of pages that call the same components and display the same info?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2006 11:27 AM

All replies

• User664499748 posted

Have you considered using mobile web forms to develop your website [http://www.asp.net/default.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=44] - mobile web forms automatically adapt rendered content based on the requesting device and thus not requiring the need for maintaining multiple versions of the app.

HTH, Kashif

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:06 AM
  • User-184505905 posted

Kashif,

Thanks for the reply, and yes, your answer confirms what I had found in the last couple days.

Now, the big debate in my dept. is whether to develop strictly for WAP 2.0 clients or a mix of WAP 1.x and 2.0 using Mobile Web Forms. I'm being pelted with questions concerning the necessity of a corporate WAP Gateway in either scenario and I'm struggling to find definitive answers.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:55 AM
  • User604424641 posted

Have you considered using mobile web forms to develop your website [http://www.asp.net/default.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=44] - mobile web forms automatically adapt rendered content based on the requesting device and thus not requiring the need for maintaining multiple versions of the app.

Kashif,

I'm new to this, too.  Surely there is more to consider than just choosing mobile web forms over a desktop web form.  Doesn't content come into consideration, too?  I mean, a page that has, for example, a vertical navigation menu on the left, a logo banner across the top, general content in the middle, and news items in a vertical bar on the right works fine for a large desktop browser window on a 1280x1024 viewport, but would require a total redesign for a small 2" phone, or even a 3.5" pocket PC.  Right?  How does choosing a mobile web form help that?

I'm guessing that you still need either to design two different versions of each web page on your site and redirect according, or be real clever with your CSS, and add a style sheet with media="handheld" in the link tag.

How do mobile web forms look on a desktop browser? 

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:29 AM
  • User664499748 posted

RSewell, you are right the way you build your UI will determine whether you need 2 separate ui's for mobile and desktop - If you want the same ui to work for both then your desktop ui will be not too rich and very simple so that it can render well on a mobile browser.

Thanks,

Kashif

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:11 PM
  • User-598002374 posted
    RSewell, you can build the ui up differently by using the deviceSpecific tag. using a big picture for HTML and a smaller for wap 1/2. Remember that if your wap gateway only supports wap1 you can't use wap2.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2006 2:24 AM