none
Installing custom ribbon for Office 2013 from server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is it possible that custom Office 2013 ribbon is installed automatically when user log into Office 2013?

What I mean is that, if is it possible that ribbon is installed automatically from server without user interaction for all users who access to their mail on same server, so administrator wouldn't need to install it on every computer. 

Thank you!

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:44 AM

Answers

• A custom Ribbon must be part of an Office document or a COM add-in. A Ribbon cannot be loaded in any other way. So you'd have to have an add-in that supplies the Ribbon or a "template" (what this needs to be varies from Office application to application) that provides the Ribbon. This can be distributed/installed by administration.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Jernej Grosar Monday, July 29, 2013 8:54 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:24 PM
  • there are tools for automatic deployment, for example SCCM. What Cindy said is that there is no way that something can appear on office ribbon as an effect of for example http server return message (so user navigates to some web page and suddenly ribbon is customized).
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:49 PM

All replies

• A custom Ribbon must be part of an Office document or a COM add-in. A Ribbon cannot be loaded in any other way. So you'd have to have an add-in that supplies the Ribbon or a "template" (what this needs to be varies from Office application to application) that provides the Ribbon. This can be distributed/installed by administration.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:24 PM
  • So if I understand you correctly it's not possible to install COM add-in on all computers that are in same company group automatically, but it has to be done on each computer individually by administrator?
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:53 AM
  • there are tools for automatic deployment, for example SCCM. What Cindy said is that there is no way that something can appear on office ribbon as an effect of for example http server return message (so user navigates to some web page and suddenly ribbon is customized).
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Thank you both for answer! 
    Monday, July 29, 2013 8:56 AM