XAML Changes in Visual Studio not picked up when built and run on simulator

Question

• Hi Guys,

Probably a noobie question but its bugging the hell out of me - whenever i make any UI changes in one of my XAML files, build it and run on the simulator there is a high probability that the change I made wont be picked up and transferred to the simulator. Sometimes doing a rebuild will remedy this but sometimes it requires an uninstall of the previous app on the simulator, which is not ideal as I like to make a series of small changes then build to test. Is there something I'm failing to grasp here or is it a bad install/other randomness on my end? Coming from Android and iOS this sort of this happens very rarely, is there a way I can disable whatever caching/check-summing that visual studio is doing and force a full upload each run?

Cheers in advance.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:29 PM

All replies

• How are you launching the app in the simulator? Pressing F5 in VS?
    Friday, April 26, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Yes. It also occurs if I'm running the solution through Expression Blend using this key. Any ideas?
    Friday, April 26, 2013 12:47 PM
  • And it always works right if you do F6 before F5 to force a build?  (Ctrl-shift-b in Blend).

It sounds like F5 isn't building the app before debugging, I think there are some settings around that in the options, but I would have to look.

Friday, April 26, 2013 1:05 PM
  • It occurs around 3/5 times when I do a build F6, or a Debug F5 or a Rebuild then debug. F5 is building the solution but I think the issue is when it attempts to install the generated app onto device, perhaps it has determined that the app hasnt changed? This theory is backed up by the fact that the only sure fire way I can always get my changes to be noticed is by removing the app from the simulator before running.
    Friday, April 26, 2013 5:40 PM