550 error uploading RRS feed

• Question

• User-821689857 posted

Hi All: I have a server with FTP7 installed. I wanted to set up a single FTP site and use basic user authentication give users access to different folders.

I created the ftp site, selecting read permissions and "do not isolate users..." checking "start users in user name directory".

There are multiple websites in InetPub...wwwroot as well as several other websites at the same level as wwwroot.

When I created the ftp site, I made it's root "InetPub", with the intention of creating virtual FTP directories by username with their roots one level below "InetPub" ( a if "joe" logs in his root would be his website root).

I created a local user "joe" and created a virtual FTP directory called "joe" with a particular subdirectory in InetPub as his "root". I gave that user "write" permissions in the security settings for the virtual directory. I checked the actual physical folder's permissions and noted that the user's name and permissions were there as well.

When I log in with that users' name and password via FTP, I'm taken to the correct directory, and I can list and read files, but I can't upload. When I try to PUT I get "550 Access is denied."

Where am I going wrong? Also is this the wrong way to handle granting access to different users?

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:31 PM

Answers

• User989702501 posted

Is up to you. if you only have Joe then you can remove 'all users' else just leave it to default all users read.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:30 PM

All replies

• User-821689857 posted

sorry...I posted too soon. I double-clicked "FTP Authorization Rules" and saw "allow all users" as the only rule, and when I edited the rule I was able to check "write" along with "read"...but I suspect that's not what I want.

Do I need to leave "all users" with "read" permissions checked, then add another rule with "specified users" with "joe" selected and "write" checked?

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:36 PM
  • User989702501 posted

Is up to you. if you only have Joe then you can remove 'all users' else just leave it to default all users read.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:30 PM