How do you use this OS? it is confusing.

General discussion

• I want the old start menu because it is usable, Metro sucks and is unusable without a touchscreen.  It is a horrible cluttered mess when it comes up, it gives me no choices, my mouse will not work in it except to click on what I do not want.  You cannot turn programs off, you cannot turn the computer off and it is infuriating.  How do I turn Metro off and use the old menu? What is the point of Metro if you do not have a cell or pad?

I do not want a touchscreen, I have no use for Apps or Facebook but I do want a clean OS.  Dumping Metro and having the rest of OS8 would be very cool but where do I go and what do I do to disable metro and give me the standard Start menu?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:09 PM

All replies

• If you're a developer, you should have been able to work out how to click on the things you want to click, shutdown Windows and find programs. If you're not a developer, then you're probably not finding it easy because this very early preview release is designed for developers.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good (or at least, shows promise of being good).

Also, why are you posting this question in an area meant for the discussion of Metro interface design? If you want to make a point and have people read it, I suggest you find a more appropriate area to discuss it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:07 PM
  • My questions are good ones, this is a User Interface and it is confusing to those who will not use it with a touchscreen, it is confusing to those who do use a touchscreen. Most people are not going to run out and get a touchscreen so most people will not want Metro or its Apps unless they are more mouse user friendly.  As a developer you should consider that. 

Whether you use a touchscreen or not there is no way to turn your computer off without logging out that I can see.  Why should the user go through two extra steps to do the simplest of things? 

Why does it go to Metro by default?  As a start menu Metro is a nightmare that will not go into a list view or put installed program shortcuts into a folder but throws up unorganized clutter. That might be nice for a smartphone or a pad but most people don't have those and this is a PC not a handheld device.   What I am asking is for the choice to use this OS without a touchscreen and millions of users will want the same. If you are going to develop Metro Apps for a PC treat them like a PC app not a Phone app. Touchscreen users will be a minority for years to come so give us something to work with.  Having the promise of being good is not good enough and the way you smooth out the rough edges is with input.  If the interface is unresponsive or confusing to the user then the developers should not have to search the entire web to find what the problems are or wait until it is in its final release.  

• Edited by EggZacktly Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:48 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:51 PM
  • You found it confusing. I did not find it confusing. Everyone is different.

I agree there will perhaps not be the majority of people going out to purchase a touch screen on the basis of improving their Windows 8 experience alone. However, as has happened time and time again, new technology filters through from OEM's into their standard configurations and ends up becoming de rigeur. Give it 5 years and non-touch devices will be considered legacy.

You can shut down from Win 8 without logging out. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to discover how. It took me perhaps 30 seconds (again with the caveat that everyone is different).

It goes to Metro by default because it is a Developer Preview. It's that simple, really. I would hope that you are writing to be controversial, because it is incomprehensible to me that someone would seriously believe that Microsoft will release the final version of Windows 8 without the choice to use the standard desktop and Start menu by default.

It seems all of your negative criticisms of the developer preview of Windows 8 are merely because it is such an early version. Complaining about an unfinished product is only worthwhile if you can offer some value to the discussion.

• Edited by HonestFlames Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:43 PM
  • First off it was your choice to respond to me, everyone else had the good sense to ignore me.

Metro sucks and Windows 8 will be compared to Vista not Windows 7.  Why would I want to exit the desktop just to look at my a list of programs? Why?  That is what is confusing not how to use a mouse and press a button. If I am watching a video why do I have to leave the video just to look at a list of my programs or look at my recent documents? In fact how do I look at recent documents?  I am not confused about how to click on a button I am confused on why anybody in their right mind would want the clunky Metro environment, ever.  One in a hundred times that I put the mouse over the windows logo does it bring up Settings where the off button is, but after spending a ten minutes trying to get it to show it never happened.  If you are a developer why don't you want any feedback that doesn't massage your ego?  Metro is a stupid idea for a desktop environment it seems it is different just for the sake of being different not a new easier more functional environment.  If I want to install many programs Metro throws everything up, uninstall files, readme files, websites and everything is vomited onto Metro and instead of being able to find things easily I am forced to wander through metro instead of having everything in an easy to use list of programs couched in subfolders, if I just want to go to my user folder I am now forced to use Windows Explorer  and search through my computer instead of clicking on my user icon.   What is confusing is why Metro has made doing the simplest of things two and three steps instead of one step. What is confusing is why the stinking start menu has taken over the desktop instead of an easy to use pop-up menu.  Make Metro a choice in the pop up menu for people who want to access Metro programs but give us a usable user interface.  Metro reminds me of the old IBM 360 teletype interface where you hit a key and two seconds later the key hits the paper tape. You can whine about how early in the development the interface is but that is why it is released, for feedback not for massaging egos.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Developer Preview is a version for we developers (e.g. programmers in Dell, Intel, AMD, Symantec, Adobe, Apple or Google) to preview the extensibility of the system and compatibility in third-part software and drivers. You act as if all developers in the world are hired by Microsoft, sorry, you are not calling Microsoft's customer support. 

It is only natural to get the kernel out as soon as possible to give us development time so once Windows 8 is released, you don't have to wait for computer makers to come up with compatible hardware drivers, and wait for antivirus to cover the new version of Windows. Anything not related to compatibility/API is a bonus, nice to have but not worth if it were to delay the release. Microsoft can work on its part later. We need the kernel out as soon as possible so we can find compatibility issues in our software and hammer out the code contract between us and Microsoft.

Your concern is already raised by developers via internal feedback tools.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:16 PM
  • If you would like to understand some things about it heres a guide to helphttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/ then click on the guide and download the .pdf file:)
    -Chase Croley
    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:45 PM
  • How do you use this OS?

Windows 8 Developer Preview is pre-beta and for developers. This is a very early version of Windows 8, many changes will happen between now and when it's finally released. It may or many not look the same later on.

These links can provide some information about it:

Windows Developer Preview guide
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/E/4/1E455D53-C382-4A39-BA73-55413F183333/Windows_Developer_Preview-Windows8_guide.pdf

Windows 8 Preview:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/preview

Building Windows 8 Blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/

Windows 8 Videos:
    http://www.buildwindows.com/

Monday, October 03, 2011 5:04 PM
  • And yet, could one of the supporters of "very early pre-beta" please post ONE feature that was present in Windows 7 PDC that was NOT present in the final? Why are you assuming anything will change from PDC to RTM? That is the main concern i have when i try to use the pdc bits.

[Actually there is one feature that didnt make it from win 7 pdc - but it was under wraps and barely announced or noticed - the ability to use directx in remote desktop sessions]

Monday, October 03, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I agree with Joao. I don't think the Metro UI from the Developer Preview will see big fundamental changes until RTM. Look at the (visual) differences from M2 and M3 - both look and work much the same. And given the schedule that MS intends to ship Windows 8 next year, I guess there's not much time left to change it all radical again until then. Plus: Especially since this is a Developer Preview, you can assume that Metro style apps, for example, will not see any big changes in architecture etc. because it wouldn't make any sense to give developers these bits, they starts learning and developing for it, and in the end at the release of RTM it's all different again.

Well, the question that is constantly worring me is: Why this kind of an User Interface for non-touch devices and in professional usage scenarios? It just doesn't make any sense to me, and it is pretty oversimplified to create "one UI for all devices", because this aims to not use the capabilities of specific devices or users. How can this big playground that Metro is at the moment become a productive environment on Desktops and Laptops?

I don't want to put all my complains about it here again, because people are discussing them heavily on the Building Windows 8 blog. Personally, I like the Metro stuff when it comes to touch-enabled devices. But then please make a compromise and enable it for all these devices only. I simply like to work with the Windows Desktop and have a Start Menu and Superbar. Like riding a bicycle instead of a unicycle. I don't want to change just because it's chic. Bicycles will always have two wheels because it's a proofed construction. So is the Desktop of a PC. As I developer, I don't need this time-wasting applications (I hate the dumbed-down term "apps") for Facebook, or this blown-up start screen instead of a simple start menu that works pretty well for me, search and all. And the live tiles could also live on the desktop as an extended version of the Gadget platform.

Maybe a bit off-topic:

Most important thing: I'd like to be able to download and/or purchase my software from a different place than the Windows Store. No compromise. I think, to include a Tablet-centric UI like Metro on the Desktop is only because of marketing reasons - to make the Windows Store the only place to get new Windows applications, this is the ultimate money & control machine for MS a là Apple & Co.

PS: No windows in Windows? Re-brand, please! It equally stupid to call Windows Phone 7 "Windows", because it has never have had any windows in it. Again, it's just a marketing decision.

Marketing and the urge for innovation kills good and proven concepts.

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:32 PM