none
An unhandled Microsoft .Net Framework exception occurred in devenv.exe [6516]

Question

• Maybe someone can help me.

I am running Visual Studio 2015 community on Windows 8.1 Pro.

When I installed Visual Studio it worked fine for the first couple of weeks and I was able to get on with some work. However this week it has started crashing every time I try to load it. It loads up and is usable however after around 30 seconds it will crash with the error:

Even if I load Visual Studio and then don't touch the mouse or keyboard it will still crash after 30 seconds.

It does the same thing if I run it as administrator. It does the same thing if I run it in safe mode ( devenv.exe /SafeMode ). I've also run devenv.exe /ResetSettings which didn't help.

I ran netfx_setupverifier.exe as per:

google: net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide (unable to post links until my account is verified)

It exited with a 0 and reported no problems.

I tried reinstalled Visual Studio however the problem persisted. I also re-installed the .Net Framework and the problem persisted.

It seems to have developed a new feature: If I go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Visual Studio > Change, it takes a long time to load but gives me the options to repair and uninstall. However selecting either asks for administrator privilege and then straight away crashes. So I'm currently unable to uninstall either. 

I ran devenv.exe /log which contained two errors:

<entry>
        <record>350</record>
        <time>2017/02/15 16:25:15.884</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ExtensibilityHosting.VsShellComponentModelHost</source>
        <description>Still unable to load MEF component DLL: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workspaces.Contracts, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</description>
        <path>C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 14.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\RTUGJUHZ.GP4\TMLanguage.dll</path>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>351</record>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ExtensibilityHosting.VsShellComponentModelHost</source>
        <description>Still unable to load MEF component DLL: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeSense, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</description>
        <path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\pvzyscsb.tub\Microsoft.VisualStudio.ApplicationInsights.dll</path>
      </entry>

I'm not sure if these errors are relevant?

Any thoughts on how to get my Visual Studio working again?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:10 AM

All replies

• Maybe someone can help me.

I am running Visual Studio 2015 community on Windows 8.1 Pro.

When I installed Visual Studio it worked fine for the first couple of weeks and I was able to get on with some work. However this week it has started crashing every time I try to load it. It loads up and is usable however after around 30 seconds it will crash with the error:

Even if I load Visual Studio and then don't touch the mouse or keyboard it will still crash after 30 seconds.

It does the same thing if I run it as administrator. It does the same thing if I run it in safe mode ( devenv.exe /SafeMode ). I've also run devenv.exe /ResetSettings which didn't help.

I ran netfx_setupverifier.exe as per:

google: net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide (unable to post links until my account is verified)

It exited with a 0 and reported no problems.

I tried reinstalled Visual Studio however the problem persisted. I also re-installed the .Net Framework and the problem persisted.

It seems to have developed a new feature: If I go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Visual Studio > Change, it takes a long time to load but gives me the options to repair and uninstall. However selecting either asks for administrator privilege and then straight away crashes. So I'm currently unable to uninstall either. 

I ran devenv.exe /log which contained two errors:

<entry>
        <record>350</record>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>Still unable to load MEF component DLL: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workspaces.Contracts, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</description>
        <path>C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 14.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\RTUGJUHZ.GP4\TMLanguage.dll</path>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>351</record>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>Still unable to load MEF component DLL: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeSense, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</description>
        <path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\pvzyscsb.tub\Microsoft.VisualStudio.ApplicationInsights.dll</path>
      </entry>

Both those files exist at the paths mentioned. I changed permissions so that all users have all access and the problem persists.

I'm not sure if these errors are relevant?

Any thoughts on how to get my Visual Studio working again?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi friend,

I’m so sorry about your encountering this issue.

According to your description, here is a method for you:

You could use Visual Studio Uninstaller,

https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller

to uninstall visual studio completely (please run it a couple times) and then you could try to install it again.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:34 AM
  • Hi Fletch,

I appreciate the reply. I actually downloaded that executable yesterday. I ran it and uninstalled everything and then also went through Programs and Features and uninstalled almost everything that started with the words "Microsoft". I installed from the iso this time. If I run the installer normally it crashes when it asks for administrator privilege. If I run it as admin it installs correctly.  Once installed it still crashes, however now it only crashes when I move the mouse or touch the keyboard.

Don't know what else I could try at this point. I think the only remaining option is a fresh install of Windows (maybe Windows 10 will work better).

Thanks,

Jeff

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

Based your description, it seems it's not the issue caused by Visual Studio itself, it might be related to OS.

So, installing a fresh window is a choice, and I think Windows 10 could work better, but it's up to you if you'll install it.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 9:33 AM
  • I have the exact same problem on a Win10 machine. After running devenv /log I see "Still unable to load MEF component DLL..." and "Still unable to load MEF component DLL..." just as Jeffrey does. I have also tried to re-install Visual Studio (but have not issues with that).

One thing I have observed is that it crashes depending on my code. If I manually rewrite the code as it was before the crash it works. Doing the change again, it crashes.

If it is to any help, I edit the code accessing a TinyIoC container. (But I can't really see how my code could be involved in the crash).

I have a suspicion that it could be related to that I have merged in code from a developer with at different version of Visual studio.

Monday, March 06, 2017 3:30 PM