Xamarin KeyStore instructions (Android) dangerously avoids the backup step of created certificate? RRS feed

• Question

• User125363 posted

I have a project that has recently been transferred from one developer to another, the application package name has remained the same, so that the app stores consider it to be the same application, however 'the certificate must also be the same' (I think this only affects Android), otherwise you will get the following message whilst uploading to the play store...

You uploaded an APK that is signed with a different certificate to your previous APKs. You must use the same certificate.

Within the Xamarin guide for creating the certificate it states that ...

"In the Create New Certificate dialog, you can create a new signing certificate that can be used for signing Android applications. Click OK after you have entered in the necessary information:"

However this creates the keystore in the /Library folder on the Mac, not within the project, i.e. it's stored somewhere like this...

~/Library/Developer/Xamarin/Keystore/productname/productname.keystore

Shouldn't it be created within the project folder instead, so that it's configured as part of the solution and kept in version control? Or at the least shouldn't the steps clearly indicate backing up the keystore?

I find it dangerous that this can be easily overlooked and anyone loosing their machine for any reason might not realise that they might not be able to continue uploading their app to the app store - or am I overlooking something?

Also I believe this doesn't affect Apple, because you could generate a new certificate and provisioning profiles and re-upload?

Saturday, September 17, 2016 4:35 PM

All replies

• User273018 posted

I would also like to hear some comment on this. My dev machine crashed and I am now unable to update my Android app in the Play store because I haven't got my keystore. No backup, nothing. There is not a single warning or anything in the instructions. Now, AFAIK I have to create an entirely new app in the store with lost of history, etc! How can I solve this now?

Monday, May 8, 2017 10:11 AM
  • User273018 posted

Bug filed: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56159

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:23 AM
  • User125363 posted

Thanks @"RobHouweling.4203" - that's probably better than my post sitting here getting old with no action! It's not just Xamarin that's affected by this, I first became aware of this with Appcelerator Titanium. I'd imagine it's the same with Android Studio. The ultimate solution is for Android to enable you to generate a new certificate and associate that to the app - I'm amazed it's not already an option.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:34 AM