[PHP][Web Apps] FTP-uploaded file permissions RRS feed

• Question

• This is a cross-posting of the following SO question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30917561/azure-web-apps-ftp-uploaded-file-permissions

I'm in the process of getting a Laravel 5 app working on Azure Web Apps and am encountering an issue via Laravel's temporary storage.

Any time a template renders, Laravel attempts to cache it to the local filesystem. Unfortunately, for some reason Laravel doesn't have permission to write to its storage directory.

• I am deploying my application from my build server via FTP
    • I am running on the free-tier shared infrastructure (just while I'm getting set up)
    • My deployment server is running Linux

In this circumstance, it's obvious what the problem is. Unfortunately, what I don't understand is why my web server doesn't have access to write to the directories my FTP user uploads.

Ideally any solution offered will be one that I can automate as part of my deploy process.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You do have access to write to the same folders that your FTP user uploads to. Could you copy and paste the exact error that you are getting? Does it show the specific path that it's not able to access? Per Laravel's architecture document it should write by default to /app/storage. Is that where you are seeing is trying to write to?

Cristhian Uribe Microsoft MSFT)

Thursday, June 18, 2015 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You do have access to write to the same folders that your FTP user uploads to. Could you copy and paste the exact error that you are getting? Does it show the specific path that it's not able to access? Per Laravel's architecture document it should write by default to /app/storage. Is that where you are seeing is trying to write to?

Cristhian Uribe Microsoft MSFT)

Thursday, June 18, 2015 5:25 PM
  • This is a cross-posting of the following SO question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30917561/azure-web-apps-ftp-uploaded-file-permissions

I'm in the process of getting a Laravel 5 app working on Azure Web Apps and am encountering an issue via Laravel's temporary storage.

Any time a template renders, Laravel attempts to cache it to the local filesystem. Unfortunately, for some reason Laravel doesn't have permission to write to its storage directory.

• I am deploying my application from my build server via FTP
    • I am running on the free-tier shared infrastructure (just while I'm getting set up)
    • My deployment server is running Linux

In this circumstance, it's obvious what the problem is. Unfortunately, what I don't understand is why my web server doesn't have access to write to the directories my FTP user uploads.

Ideally any solution offered will be one that I can automate as part of my deploy process.

check the source code and see if the package is using the PHP docroot properly for example

<?php include $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] . "/include/menu.php"; ?>

Friday, June 19, 2015 2:59 AM