Confusion between windows Phone 8 and windows phone 7.1 apps submission, please clear RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a gaming application with windows phone 7.1 platform and now I want to deploy the app in store. But at the submission time I found that I can submit the apps and it will be compatible to windows phone 8, correct me if I am wrong? or I have to do anything to publish for windows phone 8.

But my question is at the time submission I need to provide three icons

one  for tile image and one for app icon

For Windows Phone OS 7.1 , a 62 x 62 pixel PNG image.

For Windows Phone 8 , a 99 x 99 pixel PNG image

This is my confusion area ...

What the App-icon size, and tile- image size I need to consider so that I can submit this app and it will be available to both the platform?

For store image I need to submit the 300x300 non transparent png image but I have confusion about file App icon and tile image icon size...  please help

Thanks

• Moved by Eric Fleck Friday, August 30, 2013 7:46 PM app submission question
    Friday, August 30, 2013 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You will want to use the icon size for the Windows Phone OS 7.x. The Windows Phone 8 devices should scale the image.

Best Regards,

Will

Windows Phone Developer Support

• Marked as answer by chinta14 Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:04 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Actually Currently There Are Major Windows Phone OS Running That Are WP7 And WP8.
    WP8 is Released In Late October 2012 And It Supports WVGA,WXGA,HD 720 Resolutions, VOIP Support, Three Differant Size Of Tiles, New Chooser And Launchers, Speech Recognations And Voice Commands, NFC And Proximity Enhanced Features.

Now You Have Two Differant SDK Currently Running 7.1 And 8.0

If You Have Windows Phone 7 Device And Your App Is Compiled With WP 7.1 SDK It Will Run On Windows Phone 7 Device As Well Windows Phone 8 Device Without Any Issue. But This App Will Not Be Able to Use New Choosers And Launcher And Other Features Because This App Is Compiled With Previous SDK That Lack These Features.

Now If You Compile Your App With Windows Phone 8.0 SDK It Will Only Run On Windows Phone 8 Devices And There is No Backward Compatibility For Old Devices. But It Can Use All New Features.

Now Comes to Important Part, Normally All App Publishers Gives Supports For Both Devices WP7 And WP8 And Release Two XAP's Compiled Seprately. You Can Do The Same.

I Hope This Will Clear Your Questions

Arslan Pervaiz

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Ok I got it,

but my question was which, tile size shall I use? for app icon 62x62 or 102x102 ?

For tile image whihc file size shall I use? i have a confusion in thei area.

please help. My apps is very simple gaming app whihc will run in the both the platform, I have alerady tested.

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hello,

You will want to use the icon size for the Windows Phone OS 7.x. The Windows Phone 8 devices should scale the image.

Best Regards,

Will

Windows Phone Developer Support

• Marked as answer by chinta14 Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:04 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Hi WIll,

thanks for the input, Yesterday I have submitted the "app" with app icon as 62x62 .png and tile icon as 173x713, hope this is perfect.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:24 AM