none
Report control missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Initially I did not find any control for reporting then I installed reportviewer control but it just installed report viewer. I could not find any control to add a report to it. Anybody knows how to get report control?

Thanks

• Moved by Carl Cai Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:35 AM more related
    Monday, September 8, 2014 8:58 AM

Answers

• I have installed VS Professional edition and now I can see the report wizard.

Thanks for helping me.

• Marked as answer by Srinivas Merugu Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:57 PM

All replies

• I don't know what you mean by "I installed reportviewer control".

In Visual Studio select the Tools tab, select Choose Toolbox Items, in the window that displays select the appropriate component.

For my Visual Studio it adds the Report Viewer control in the subitems of Reporting.

La vida loca

Monday, September 8, 2014 10:42 AM
  • You could dynamically create it also.

Option Strict On

Public Class Form1

WithEvents ReportViewer1 As New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            With ReportViewer1
                .Left = 10
                .Top = 10
                .Width = Me.ClientRectangle.Width - 20
                .Height = Me.ClientRectangle.Height - 20
                .Anchor = CType(AnchorStyles.Bottom + AnchorStyles.Left + AnchorStyles.Right + AnchorStyles.Top, AnchorStyles)
            End With
            Me.Controls.Add(ReportViewer1)
            Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()
        End Sub

End Class

La vida loca

Monday, September 8, 2014 11:01 AM
  • I don't know what you mean by "I installed reportviewer control".

In Visual Studio select the Tools tab, select Choose Toolbox Items, in the window that displays select the appropriate component.

For my Visual Studio it adds the Report Viewer control in the subitems of Reporting.

La vida loca

Hi Monkeyboy,

I can see till here what you shown in the screenshots but how to add a report to it? How can I show data here from my datagridview?

Monday, September 8, 2014 11:52 AM
  • Just now realized that "Design a new report" link is not working under ReportViewer Tasks.

When I click on the link, nothing happens. VS Express 2012

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Mr. Monkeyboy, the OP wants to create a report as well.
    Monday, September 8, 2014 9:31 PM
  • What version of Visual Studio do you have?  What happens when you right click on your project and choose "Add New Item..." and then click on the Reporting option under "Common Items"?

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Visual Studio Express Edition 2012.

I do not see Reporting section as you shown in your screenshot but I am able to add ReportViewer control on the form from Toolbox.

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:36 PM
  • Hi Srinivas Merugu,

I have helped you move this thread to this forum which is to discuss reporting functionality including the integrated report designer and viewer controls for adding rich data reports to Windows Forms and ASP.NET applications to get supports.

Regards.

Carl

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:37 AM
  • In VS 2012 I believe after adding a Report Viewer control to your Form you can then select the project tab and add new item of either a Report or Report Wizard.

I'm not too familiar with the Report Viewer control. Or databases.

I don't know how you populate your DataGridView. But I would guess that the Report Viewer control may be able to populate from a DataTable using a Binding source but I'm not sure since I've never really done that.

Here's some links that may assist you.

SQL Server - Creating a Report Using Report Wizard (SSRS)

Report Designer (Visual Studio)

Walkthrough: Creating a ReportViewer Report

SQL Server - Create a Drillthrough (RDLC) Report with Parameters using ReportViewer (SSRS Tutorial)

You can download two samples. The below link downloads an executeable that unzips the two samples to a location you specify. I specified C:\Users\John\Desktop\RV and the folder unzipped in RV is Report_Viewer_Samples. Within that folder are two projects which are RSSNewsReader which is in C# I believe and WebLogAnalyzer which uses a binding source which comes with it and is in VB.

WebLogAnalyzer should have pretty much code you can use with the Report Viewer control. It has .RDLC files in its project folder at least after it's built. I would use Option Strict On with it though cause it's old and after it upgrades on your system then place Option Strict On in it to correct any errors in it.

Although since you're using VS Express perhaps it will not work since VS Express, the version you have i.e. Desktop or whatever, may not have all necessary capability to use the code.

Below the link is an image of WebLogAnalyzer running. And below that is VS showing apps info. The app takes about 40 or 50 seconds to load on my laptop before the data displays.

ReportViewer Samples for Visual Studio 2005

La vida loca

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:08 AM
  • I have installed VS Professional edition and now I can see the report wizard.

Thanks for helping me.

• Marked as answer by Srinivas Merugu Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:57 PM
  • This must be the answer. Report Designer does not work on the Express versions of VS. I too shall downgrade back to VS 2010 Pro from VS 2013 Express so I can create reports for my projects! All this other discussion is no good if you can get the 'Add New Report' menu item to work in the first place!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:08 PM