First steps...How to use ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have installed Robotics Developer Studio 2008 R3  with VS 2008 today.I have some questions:

1. There are samples in the basic RDS but I downloaded samples from mrdsamples.codeplex.com .I followed the ReadMe, so I could start some examples.However, I started TeleporterTest example and I can do nothing . I can see the environment and the Dashboard. I can connect, and I see the machine name and port. Otherwise the current port is not equal that port when I can see at the starting. Is it correct? I push the buttons but not happen anything. How to use this? (I use DSS command prompt for the start)

2.How can I use the Visual Studio?Are the samples can run in VS 2008? How ?

3. UI can not see Kondo HR1 robot. Is it available?

4. How can I build an environment?

Thank you.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Did you read the help file for the Teleporter service?

If you run it from the DSS command line (or using Debug in Visual Studio) the sample does not actually teleport anything. This is intended to show you the coordinates of the entity (which is a Pioneer 3DX).

When you see the Dashboard, click on Connect. (It sounds like you have done this). Now double-click on the differential drive in the list of services. Then click on the Drive button and you will be able to use the "trackball" to move the robot around by dragging on the trackball with the mouse.

To see what is happening, you have to open a web browser (as in the help file) and look at the Teleporter service. You will see the position and speed of the robot changing as you drive the robot around.

2. All of the samples ship in VS2008 format. You need to read the RDS documentation on how to write samples. Make sure that you have run BuildAll (but it sounds like you have already).

3. The Kondo KHR1 is included in the MRDS Samples on CodePlex. Look in your installation under CodePlexSamples \ Platforms \ Kondo.

4. I'm not sure what you mean by an environment, but if you are talking about simulation then I suggest that you learn how to use the existing environments before you start creating your own. There are several environments shipped with RDS and they are quite sophisticated. To create something like this is a lot of work.

You might also be interested in the ProMDRS Samples which are on CodePlex too. They include some additional simulation samples.

Trevor

• Marked as answer by Trevor Taylor Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:52 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Did you read the help file for the Teleporter service?

If you run it from the DSS command line (or using Debug in Visual Studio) the sample does not actually teleport anything. This is intended to show you the coordinates of the entity (which is a Pioneer 3DX).

When you see the Dashboard, click on Connect. (It sounds like you have done this). Now double-click on the differential drive in the list of services. Then click on the Drive button and you will be able to use the "trackball" to move the robot around by dragging on the trackball with the mouse.

To see what is happening, you have to open a web browser (as in the help file) and look at the Teleporter service. You will see the position and speed of the robot changing as you drive the robot around.

2. All of the samples ship in VS2008 format. You need to read the RDS documentation on how to write samples. Make sure that you have run BuildAll (but it sounds like you have already).

3. The Kondo KHR1 is included in the MRDS Samples on CodePlex. Look in your installation under CodePlexSamples \ Platforms \ Kondo.

4. I'm not sure what you mean by an environment, but if you are talking about simulation then I suggest that you learn how to use the existing environments before you start creating your own. There are several environments shipped with RDS and they are quite sophisticated. To create something like this is a lot of work.

You might also be interested in the ProMDRS Samples which are on CodePlex too. They include some additional simulation samples.

Trevor

• Marked as answer by Trevor Taylor Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:52 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:22 AM
  • I thank you fro yourr answer.

Actually, I don't understand bacause when I had tryed first it hadn't worked. However, I tryed second, it worked. It's very intererest.I haven't read the documentation yet but I am going to read it.

Yes, I thougt for how I could create an own level but accept your suggestion, I see over the samples first.

Thank you.

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:19 AM