How To change the Security Policy in Windows Mobile 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I have developed an SIP(Soft Input Panel), and build a .cab of it. When i run that .cab in Windows Mobile 6.0,
    it promts "not trusted cerificate", and allows to continue, But the same .cab in Windows Mobile 5.0, it says "installation is Unsuccessful as not trusted cerificate". can you please tell me how to change the Security Policy in Windows Mobile 5.0 , so that it will promt but will allow to continue as is in 6.0.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:27 AM

Answers

• The test certificates are of no use unless they are installed on the device. The cab you need to install on the device is located at:
      C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Security\SDK Development Certificates\Certs.cab

Please read the following articles for details:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/05/30/all-about-application-locked.aspx 

Note that on some devices have a very strict security policy that prevents you from installing that cab, and you have to go through the Mobile2Market program to sign your appplication.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by punebrat Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:40 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:42 AM

All replies

• If you are testing the scenario using Device Emulator, you can use Device Security Manager to change security settings, which you can find in Visual Studio 2008 under the tools menu. However, if you are trying this with a locked (or secure) device, you can't do that. At least, using DE you can test your scenario on multiple devices. For a secure device you will need to sign the app (and also the cab) with a certificate.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:15 AM
  • Hi Mararten,
    thanks for the reply,

I have HTC PDA with the windows mobile 6.0(cab works fine), and O2 with windows mobile 5.0(where it fails).
    I tried to change the security configuration of O2, using Device Security Manager but it doesn't detects the device.
    The cab is signed with the privilage certification taken from "visual studio 8->..>Testcertificates".

Friday, November 27, 2009 11:36 AM
  • The test certificates are of no use unless they are installed on the device. The cab you need to install on the device is located at:
      C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Security\SDK Development Certificates\Certs.cab

Please read the following articles for details:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/05/30/all-about-application-locked.aspx 

Note that on some devices have a very strict security policy that prevents you from installing that cab, and you have to go through the Mobile2Market program to sign your appplication.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by punebrat Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:40 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:42 AM