Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5) Refresh RRS feed

• General discussion

• A Microsoft Robotics Studio refresh is now available for download. The refresh fixes a set of bugs that have been reported on the forum as well as some new features which have been added in response to requests and comments. Please see the detailed run-down of what's new in the refresh. The release is binary compatible with the initial Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5) release meaning that you can install it without having to recompile existing code.

The refresh also includes the CCR update package that was released earlier so we have removed that from the list of downloads and instead encourage you to get the refresh.

There are two ways you can download the refresh:

Full Refresh Installation

• Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5) Refresh. If you do not already have a version of Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5) then this is a full installation containing all available updates including the Runtime and Tools Update (see below) and the Samples Update which was released in October 2007.

Update Package

We have also added a bunch of new documentation to our online User Guide (also available in the full refresh installation) including documentation about how to use the subscription manager and information on how to debug services using Visual Studio. We have also promoted this page providing an overview of existing samples and tutorials and where to find them.

As always, we appreaciate your feedback and look forward to hear your experience with this refresh.

Henrik 

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:17 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to get an updated version of User Guide separately?

-Vlad

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:17 PM
  • It's part of the full refresh and of course available online but not invidually as a CHM. We'll have to think about making it available as an independent download.

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Dear Henrik,

I tried to find your email but had no luck .. sorry to take this route..

My name is Stephen a developer who has been into robotics and code since my first computer a Commodore 64. I caught the robotics bug when I made my first stepper motor move from a microcontroller years ago.

The reason I am writing is because I have invested and been working on a project to allow average programmers working in .NET to write applications with face recognition. Face recognition got a bad rap years ago in the high security sector because it is not 100% accurate but with a good training set it can be very close and for AI and robotics hobbyist it is an awesome tool, in a nutshell Robots that know your face or when you walk in to a room you media center PC comes to life and says hello John. I am sure you see the potential here.

When I sat down make a cool robot that would recognize my Wife and I and went to purchase a face recognition component for visual studio, I quickly realized face recognition SDKs are outrageously priced most around $500 and up (with $100 per seat licensing schemes) which puts them out of reach of the average robotics hobbyist.

So I set out to create a simple and affordable Visual Studio component that allows someone ~ anyone to add Face Recognition to his/her project. I call it ActiveFace. When you have a second grab a web cam and download the demo.

I would love to somehow get the word out with your help.

If you have any ideas drop me a line when you have a chance.

Thanks,
    Stephen Lathi

Activeface.NET
    http://activeface.net

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Hi,
    I applied the Runtime and Tools Update recently and want to inform you about two minor issues:

(1) My robot entity has some sensors which are modified versions of the LaserRangeFinderEntity, so each sensor is visualized as small box. After the update most of these boxes dissappeared and ~three out of nine are now at different places. The PhysicalEntities though are still at the correct places

(2) The Pose() initialization seems to be still with a Quaternion of (0,0,0,0) !?

The version of the current file SimulationEngine.dll is 1.5.507.0

Tom

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:39 AM
  • Broken links...

(I know its been a long time... but... anyway...)
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:35 AM
  • :-)

Actually this version is retired quite a while ago. (See Trevor's announcement in this forum) :-) RDS has moved to v2.0 a.k.a. MRDS 2008 (You may download MRDS 2008 or MRDS 2008 R2)

Best Regards,

Aravinda D.P.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:25 AM