none
Arduino-Robotics studio RRS feed

Answers

• I was waiting to see if somebody in the community might reply.

There is no support for the Arduino in the RDS package. Services could be written for it, but this would not be a job for a beginner.

You also need to understand the architecture of RDS. It runs on Windows, so you would have to write some code on the Arduino to talk to a PC running RDS, probably over Bluetooth or WiFi.

Trevor

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:10 AM

All replies

• I was waiting to see if somebody in the community might reply.

There is no support for the Arduino in the RDS package. Services could be written for it, but this would not be a job for a beginner.

You also need to understand the architecture of RDS. It runs on Windows, so you would have to write some code on the Arduino to talk to a PC running RDS, probably over Bluetooth or WiFi.

Trevor

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Similar question; I'm looking to use a RB-110 described here; http://www.roboard.com/index.htm

I see in their description it is 'a perfect solution for Microsoft Robotics Studio Development'

But I have not seen how to put 2+2 together yet.  Since this board uses Windows XP, Windows XP Embedded or CE will it be semi-straight forward to write a service for it? I am a very experience c# developer, not too afraid of SOAP but new to MRDS.

I hope to use MRDS and this board to develop a decent robotic vehicle.

I assume XP is probably the easiest of the 3 to work with initially, agree? With only 256k ram (but swap available via SD card) might I be better off starting with XPE or CE?  I've developed .net on CE before, I have never used XPE.

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Personally I would go for XP, but I'm biased :-)

XP Embedded should work too. However, Windows CE is no longer supported as of RDS 2008 R3 which was released last week.

What you need to find out is how to program the roboard using .NET. There appears to be a .NET wrapper available so it should be easy enough to use this inside DSS services. You don't have to use SOAP :-)

Trevor

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:16 AM
  • ok, that sounds good. I didn't realize that about CE. I mentioned SOAP just to give you an idea I wasn't a beginning programmer and had a good understanding of what went on under the covers.

I haven't received the board yet, so I hadn't dug enough into their docs, I will go look for the .net stuff now. It was on my list of things to do.

Anyhow - tons of things to experiment with, I should be able to stay busy for a while (retirement is fun), thanks for the suggestion.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Can MRDS communicate via USB ports? If so, then there shouldn't be any trouble sending/receiving data from an arduino.
    Chris G.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:52 PM
  • If there is an available library for sending/receiving data by any means (serial port, WiFi, USB) then a service can be written for RDS that can use it. How difficult it is to write such a service depends a lot on the library implementation. For example, I have worked with Phidgets boards which connect via USB. (Look on CodePlex for the services). RDS on its own does not know anything about USB.

Trevor

Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:44 AM
  • It is possible to communicate not alone MRDS with arduino, it is possible to use other platforms of the technology of microcontroller who supports communication series, this way connect them to the port COM of PC
    • Proposed as answer by Antonio Najarro Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:43 AM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:52 PM
  • I attach the link of the device that allows to realize this communication

http://www.robotshop.com/productinfo.aspx?pc=RB-Spa-369&lang=en-US

Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Almost every revision of Arduino sold comes with a USB port that can communicate to the PC appearing as a Serial Port.  There are libraries to make this easier as well, either Firmata or Reflecta.

There are no RDS libraries for talking the Firmata or Reflecta protocol, but you can find C# libraries for doing so or write your own using System.IO.SerialPort.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:29 PM
  • That's exactly what I did. I have a PicoItx board talking to an Arduino via USB. On the PicoItx, I installed the FTDI V-COM driver to make the USB port appear as a serial port. Then, I used the System.IO.SerialPort methods to read and write the port.

On the Arduino side, I used the Serial library to receive commands and send responses back to the PicoItx. It works pretty well. I control 18 Dynamixel AX-12 servos and some other sundry I/O this way.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:49 PM
  • hello, the Arduino is a 8-bit processor so it is not able to run some code written in SDRM, specifications attached 

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno

http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8161.pdf

However, you can make communication through the computer serial protocol with arduino board, ie the computer must send certain commands to the arduino can interpret and then execute as read sensors, motors and other features enabled you can embed, luck

@ltheux

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:25 PM