Why is my Visual Studio starting up so slow? RRS feed

• Question

• Because I have installed Fusion / Fuslogvw !

You don't beleave me, it took Visual Studio sometimes 30 minutes untill I could start working with very large solutions.
    Projects and solutions which opend in 2 minutes from one day to tzhe other toke 30 minutes and more. Once it took me 40 minutes. Now it is clear what happened. How did I find it? I used Taskmanager / Resouce Monitor and then I selected devenv.exe (Visual Studio) and then I looked at Disk Activity and I was geeting very big eys. Thousands of files open, but they are at E:\users\C770817\fuslogvw; So what the hell has fuslogvw (which I know for what I can use it) to do right now before Visual Studio is up? NOTHING. Why the hell is it running then?

Then I found an article in

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1012252/using-fuslogvw-exe-on-a-machine-with-no-visual-studio-installed/26881452#26881452

And there, at the link above, I show you what else fuselogvw logs if you don't care about have it not logging !
    I am very thanksfull for this hint, and I am pritty sure others as well.

Sepp

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:44 AM

Answers

• will open a new thread when it hits me next time.

Thank you for help.

Josef

Sepp

• Marked as answer by stadelma Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:47 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• Because I have installed Fusion / Fuslogvw !

You don't beleave me, it took Visual Studio sometimes 30 minutes untill I could start working with very large solutions.
    Projects and solutions which opend in 2 minutes from one day to tzhe other toke 30 minutes and more. Once it took me 40 minutes. Now it is clear what happened. How did I find it? I used Taskmanager / Resouce Monitor and then I selected devenv.exe (Visual Studio) and then I looked at Disk Activity and I was geeting very big eys. Thousands of files open, but they are at E:\users\C770817\fuslogvw; So what the hell has fuslogvw (which I know for what I can use it) to do right now before Visual Studio is up? NOTHING. Why the hell is it running then?

Then I found an article in

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1012252/using-fuslogvw-exe-on-a-machine-with-no-visual-studio-installed/26881452#26881452

And there, at the link above, I show you what else fuselogvw logs if you don't care about have it not logging !
    I am very thanksfull for this hint, and I am pritty sure others as well.

Sepp

Hello Sepp,

Based on my understanding, there is an issue that it takes quite a lot time when you open large solutions, right?

And you doubt that this issue is related to the Fuslogvw tool?

To narrow down this issue, I would confirm with you the following tips.

1. Does it take much more time then then one to open the same solution before? If so, you could check whether closing all sessions of Visual Studio and deleting the .suo file help, and if possible, I would recommend you consider separating this large solution to multiple solutions instead.

2. If #1 doesn't help, would you mind sharing us whether you enabled Fuslogvw logging before you open that large solution?

If so, you could test it by disabling that tool to confirm whether this issue is related to that tool.

If not, then we could check the other tips to narrow down this issue.

3. To confirm whether this issue is related to the other process and add-ins, and from your another thread I assume that you are using VS2012 ultimate, you could restart your pc and close all the other softwares like the firewall and anti-virus, then open your Visual Studio with safe mode to test.

If still no helping, it will be helpful if you could share us more detailed information.

Regards.

Carl

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Carl,
    thank you for help. But since I turned of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion\FoceLog from 1 to 0 I have no more problems. I did that while I was lookingwith Resouce Monitor selecting only devenv.exe, and hence coud see only diskactivity belonging to devenv.exe. When I turned off Fusion logging, file handles where closed and only a few to me known files where shown in disk activity. Go for that link,and have a look what was generated unintentionally:

To your no: 1 comment: My large VS solution with several dozend projects and some 5 huderd project files opens in about 30 second to a minute since I turned of Fusion/ForceLog to 0: It was lasting about 15 to 40 minutes with Fusion/ForcLog set to1; And as you can see at the link given above, it did not only log my own devenv activities, but all kind of activities even services in the background. THIS IS VERY NICE TO KNOW AND IT WILL HELP ME IN OTHER SITUATIONS. But having logging on unintentionally without knowing what gets logged can make your systemvery slow. And it was in avaerage slow, until yesterady.

To your no: 1 comment: I was installing fuslohvw in the past to help me on a dll issue; then I forget about fuslogvw. But then I begun wondering why VS starts up slower from day to day. Now this effect is gone since I forced of logging.

To your no: 3 request: We are forced by policy and unable to switch of virus scanners and firewall settings. We are in domains at AXA Winterthur. BTW: what shall I look if I start with

devenv/SafeMode    ???

Again, to make it easy and clear for others; look at the tree below and beleave me, it was at no time my intention to log all this various process activities using Fusion / FusLogvw, but nice to know, it works.

E:\Users\C770817\fuslogvw>tree
    Folder PATH listing for volume LaCie
    Volume serial number is B098-2591
    E:.
    ├───Default
    │   ├───4fe3a146
    │   ├───6bf3b89
    │   ├───758f6436
    │   ├───92c7e946
    │   ├───addinutil.exe
    │   ├───aspnet_regiis.exe
    │   ├───b210afcc
    │   ├───CreateSchedulerFolder.exe
    │   ├───dbb8b39f
    │   ├───devenv.exe
    │   ├───Duplicati.CommandLine.exe
    │   ├───DuplicatiBgMgr.exe
    │   ├───e04f35ff
    │   ├───EA.exe
    │   ├───edd6a3ed
    │   ├───ElementsHelper.exe
    │   ├───Eval32.exe
    │   ├───EXCEL.EXE
    │   ├───FxCopCmd.exe
    │   ├───FX_{b05566ac-fe9c-4368-be02-7a4cbb7cbe11}
    │   ├───FX_{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}
    │   ├───FX_{b05566ae-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}
    │   ├───FX_{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}
    │   ├───FX_{c7b8fb07-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}
    │   ├───FX_{d1764f60-2007-4ad4-a1e8-e7714ed4eb5d}
    │   ├───GfxUIEx.exe
    │   ├───InetMgr.exe
    │   ├───InstallUtil.exe
    │   ├───IntelliTrace.exe
    │   ├───ISSDeployer.exe
    │   ├───ISSLauncherTray.exe
    │   ├───ISSShortcutManager.exe
    │   ├───JabraCiscoJabberDriver.exe
    │   ├───JabraDeviceService.exe
    │   ├───LocalAccountMgmt.exe
    │   ├───MFPPrinterTool.exe
    │   ├───Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Host.exe
    │   ├───mmc.exe
    │   ├───MSBuild.exe
    │   ├───mscorsvw.exe
    │   ├───msdeploy.exe
    │   ├───MsDepSvc.exe
    │   ├───msvsmon.exe
    │   ├───OxygeneRegClean2.exe
    │   ├───OxygeneSchemaCatalog.exe
    │   ├───pcee4.exe
    │   ├───powershell.exe
    │   ├───powershellcustomhost.exe
    │   ├───RegisterEvent.exe
    │   ├───RemObjects.Everwood.LicenseManager.exe
    │   ├───sdiagnhost.exe
    │   ├───SmsClrHost.exe
    │   ├───SMSvcHost.exe
    │   ├───Spezpla.exe
    │   ├───Spezpla.vshost.exe
    │   ├───sqlservr.exe
    │   ├───SvcConfigEditor.exe
    │   ├───Toolbox2Test.exe
    │   ├───TrayCtrlNotify.exe
    │   ├───UITServ.exe
    │   ├───UserGUI.exe
    │   ├───UserInstallTool.exe
    │   ├───VideoHost.exe
    │   ├───VS2012.4.exe
    │   ├───VSIXInstaller.exe
    │   ├───vssphost4.exe
    │   ├───w3wp.exe
    │   ├───WCFSpezplaServiceClient.exe
    │   ├───WCFSpezplaServiceClient.vshost.exe
    │   ├───WcfSvcHost.exe
    │   ├───WebBrowserServer.exe
    │   ├───WebDev.WebServer40.exe
    │   ├───WebPlatformInstaller.exe
    │   ├───WINPROJ.EXE
    │   └───wsmprovhost.exe
    └───NativeImage
        ├───4fe3a146
        ├───6bf3b89
        ├───758f6436
        ├───92c7e946
        ├───addinutil.exe
        ├───aspnet_regiis.exe
        ├───b210afcc
        ├───CreateSchedulerFolder.exe
        ├───dbb8b39f
        ├───devenv.exe
        ├───Duplicati.CommandLine.exe
        ├───DuplicatiBgMgr.exe
        ├───e04f35ff
        ├───EA.exe
        ├───edd6a3ed
        ├───ElementsHelper.exe
        ├───Eval32.exe
        ├───EXCEL.EXE
        ├───FxCopCmd.exe
        ├───FX_{b05566ac-fe9c-4368-be02-7a4cbb7cbe11}
        ├───FX_{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}
        ├───FX_{b05566ae-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}
        ├───FX_{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}
        ├───FX_{c7b8fb07-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}
        ├───FX_{d1764f60-2007-4ad4-a1e8-e7714ed4eb5d}
        ├───GfxUIEx.exe
        ├───InetMgr.exe
        ├───InstallUtil.exe
        ├───IntelliTrace.exe
        ├───ISSDeployer.exe
        ├───ISSLauncherTray.exe
        ├───ISSShortcutManager.exe
        ├───JabraCiscoJabberDriver.exe
        ├───JabraDeviceService.exe
        ├───LocalAccountMgmt.exe
        ├───MFPPrinterTool.exe
        ├───Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Host.exe
        ├───mmc.exe
        ├───MSBuild.exe
        ├───mscorsvw.exe
        ├───msdeploy.exe
        ├───MsDepSvc.exe
        ├───msvsmon.exe
        ├───OxygeneRegClean2.exe
        ├───OxygeneSchemaCatalog.exe
        ├───pcee4.exe
        ├───powershell.exe
        ├───powershellcustomhost.exe
        ├───RegisterEvent.exe
        ├───RemObjects.Everwood.LicenseManager.exe
        ├───sdiagnhost.exe
        ├───SmsClrHost.exe
        ├───SMSvcHost.exe
        ├───Spezpla.exe
        ├───Spezpla.vshost.exe
        ├───SpezplaPlanTest.exe
        ├───sqlservr.exe
        ├───SvcConfigEditor.exe
        ├───Toolbox2Test.exe
        ├───TrayCtrlNotify.exe
        ├───UITServ.exe
        ├───UserGUI.exe
        ├───UserInstallTool.exe
        ├───VideoHost.exe
        ├───VS2012.4.exe
        ├───VSIXInstaller.exe
        ├───vssphost4.exe
        ├───w3wp.exe
        ├───WCFSpezplaServiceClient.exe
        ├───WCFSpezplaServiceClient.vshost.exe
        ├───WcfSvcHost.exe
        ├───WebBrowserServer.exe
        ├───WebDev.WebServer40.exe
        ├───WebPlatformInstaller.exe
        ├───WINPROJ.EXE
        └───wsmprovhost.exe

E:\Users\C770817\fuslogvw>

Thank you,

Sepp

Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Hi Sepp,

>>But since I turned of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion\FoceLog from 1 to 0 I have no more problems.

Based on the result, it seems that this issue is related to ForcLog, and based on the process list you shared with us, it seems ForcLog will not only collect the logs for Visual Studio, but also collect the other process's logs.

To get this issue confirm and look for the workaround, I would recommend you submit this feedback at

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/, the product team will help you confirm it and share better suggestions.

It will help the others who come across similar issues if you could share the link of that feedback here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards.

Carl

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 14, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Hi Carl,

to make it short and simpel: Our company AXA is slow in upgrading/adopting to new tools, also this is often a price/lizence issu. Our team runs still at Visual Studio 2012 Professional, with my Lizense beeing a Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.

So I can't say if the same will happen with any better versions of Visual Studio! out of my experience it will, because it is a Fusion / FusLogVw.Exe and not a Devenv.Exe issue.

So final confirmation migth be up partly to those who Visual Studion 2013, 2014, 2015 installe. Please tell ms ;-) how we/shall I proceed? I am very willing to share this know how, but unwilling to poste feedback and then get said to upgrade to VS 201+ first.

Josef

Sepp

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Hi Carl,

to make it short and simpel: Our company AXA is slow in upgrading/adopting to new tools, also this is often a price/lizence issu. Our team runs still at Visual Studio 2012 Professional, with my Lizense beeing a Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.

So I can't say if the same will happen with any better versions of Visual Studio! out of my experience it will, because it is a Fusion / FusLogVw.Exe and not a Devenv.Exe issue.

So final confirmation migth be up partly to those who Visual Studion 2013, 2014, 2015 installe. Please tell ms ;-) how we/shall I proceed? I am very willing to share this know how, but unwilling to poste feedback and then get said to upgrade to VS 201+ first.

Josef

Sepp

Hi Josef,

Sorry for my delay due to personal issue.

If the product team who are qutie familiar with these tools suggested you upgrade to the other version, then I am afraid that I could not come up with any other idea to solve this issue, and since as the following blog shared there is a free version Visual Studio Community 2013, you could consider installing that Visual Studio instead.

#Opening up Visual Studio and .NET to Every Developer, Any Application: .NET Server Core open source and cross platform, Visual Studio Community 2013 and preview of Visual Studio 2015 and .NET 2015

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2014/11/12/opening-up-visual-studio-and-net-to-every-developer-any-application-net-server-core-open-source-and-cross-platform-visual-studio-community-2013-and-preview-of-visual-studio-2015-and-net-2015.aspx

Regards.

Carl

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:27 AM
  • Maybe my last suggestion: reporting a problem starts almost when you look at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/

There you see that only Visual Studio 2013 has a button to report or pass feedback. While I personally understand that, because I worked long enougth in SW support at DEC, I do not understand why problems of a tool like Fusion or FusLogVw, just loosely if ever coupled, but mainly seen with VS, can not be report to VS teams, as in circumstances that Fusion or FusLogVw does not provide for direct feedback.  I would expect that in such a case a developer of VS can do a dispatching task and place the problem report at the proper desk and notify the originator of the report. As you did. So maybe there is a better place to report this issue with Fusion and or FusLogVw, because I have another one still open with FusLogVw or Fusion (not logging when they should). But again, it can still be of interesst to konw: why is my Visual Studio so slow. And because excessive logging is the issue, regardless of the source, in the end, Visual Studio is negatively impacted and hence, it is good to know for VS users what can be a reason for slowness and how to cure it. For me:My Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate slowness problem is solfed since I am turned of the Fusion/ForceLog from 1 to 0 !

I thank you for your help, and if you give me a better address to report this Fusion FusLogVw problem I am glad to pass them a link to this topic in this forum. Josef

Sepp

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:24 AM
  • Hello Josef,

Sorry for the inconvenience that the https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ site only accepts feedback for tools which are the newest version.

In order to help you solve this issue more efficiently, I would help you involve senior engineers into this case, but there is a time limitation policy for involving, and this thread has lasted for a long time, I would recommend you post this issue in another thread with the detailed descriptions you shared in this thread.

In order to help you involve them more efficiently, you could post the link of that thread here.

Regards.

Carl

• Edited by Carl Cai Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:20 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:11 AM
  • will open a new thread when it hits me next time.

Thank you for help.

Josef

Sepp

• Marked as answer by stadelma Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:47 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:47 AM