Issues coming implementation of Microsoft Translator Ajax API RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is really a nice tool that is a good enhancement for a website. But i got following issues when i was trying to implement an AJAX api of this translator.

1. I got that it can translate up to 2000 chars only. If limit exceeded then i won't translate.

2. Suppose this is my input string to convert "Hello how are you " and my default current language is "en-English " then i translate this into following seq.:

> English to French
         > French
    to German
         > German
    to Russian
         > Russian
    to Chinese
         > Chinese
    to English

now in this case i should get the same string as i have inserted to translate but i have got something else which was not in english.

Please help me to figure out this.

Thanks & regards,
    Parveen Punia

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hello Parveen,

you can not expect to get the same string back after passing it through 5 translations. There are many ways to express "Hello how are you", and Translator has to choose one way or the other to express this in the target language. There is not always a 1:1 equivalent. Or if there is, Translator may not have been able to find and reproduce it. Also note, that grammar and punctiuation in the input play an important role in the translation quality. A grammatically correct sentence has a higher chance to produce a good translation, then a sentence which lacks it.

Let us know if this doesn't cover the question,
    Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hello Parveen,

you can not expect to get the same string back after passing it through 5 translations. There are many ways to express "Hello how are you", and Translator has to choose one way or the other to express this in the target language. There is not always a 1:1 equivalent. Or if there is, Translator may not have been able to find and reproduce it. Also note, that grammar and punctiuation in the input play an important role in the translation quality. A grammatically correct sentence has a higher chance to produce a good translation, then a sentence which lacks it.

Let us know if this doesn't cover the question,
    Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:58 AM
  • hi chris

I had an issue when I m using ajax based api.here is my code below.

<

script type="text/javascript"

src=http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V1/Ajax.svc/Embed?appId= Myapiid></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

// Set the language variables

var currentLanguage = "en";

var spanish = "es";

var german = "de";

var english = "en";

// Call the translate method

function translateDisclaimer(language) {

Microsoft.Translator.translate(document.body, currentLanguage, language);

// Update the current language after translating

currentLanguage = language;

}

</

script>

.is it possible to hide the translator toolbar?becaasue I will save the language selected by user in my database and when ever he will again open the site the language should be the same what user has selected which i will pick from backend and call the function translateDisclaimer() on my javascript body onload.but i dont want to show the microsoft translator toolbar.is there any way to hide or remove this bar which is always showing at top of the page.

pawan

Friday, April 9, 2010 6:19 AM