none
BizTalk Server 2010 POP3 Adapter - How to Avoid not to delete the emails from Mail Server? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I am using the POP3 Adapter to download the email and attachment from POP3 Server. But Once dowload the file to my local server all the emails get deleted from the mail box. Is it possible to avoid not to delete the emails from the Mail Box. It's very much urgent for me. I am middle of the development. Please help on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Ranjan Kumar.

Friday, May 20, 2011 12:07 PM

All replies

• Some pop3 servers have the option - Archive/delete/donothing  as configurabele optinos on the server side.

However, I don't know if this is part if the protocol or an internal implementation of the server.

Rohit Singh
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi Ranjan,

As per BizTalk documentation the BizTalk POP3 adapter deletes the email from message box once the email is put in BizTalk. But can you clarify your scenario why you don't want to delete the mails.

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:29 AM
  • You may create a new mailbox, and have mailbox1 redirect all emails to mailbox2. 

And then have biztalk read from mailbox2.

I have this set up like this in one client and works fine. This way, I always have mailbox1 to debug porpuses, etc...

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hello Nelson Andre,

Thanks for your reply.

I have done the same Approach earlier and It's working fine for me. And I am able to download the attachments well; but I come across some other problem.

As an Example: In my Mail Box I have 500 Emails. Once my Orchestration starts it reads only 100 emails and downloads from that 100 email attachments. But it does not down load all the 500 Email attachments in one call. I have done the configuration As "Pooling Interval = 5 Minutes" in Receive Location (POP3 Transport Properties). So in next pooling cycle it tries to download the same attachments which have already downloaded in First 100 emails; which is actually wrong.

Could you or any one please help me on this: How I can download all the attachments without any error? Waiting for +ve response.

Thanks, Ranjan.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Doesn't it delete the first 100 after reading them, in the 2nd mailbox?

For waht I understood it keeps reading the same 100 everytime, right?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes it does not delete the first 100 emails as the email server has the setting not do delete any emails. But I don't understand one point, why it is not reading all the emails (As per my example 500 emails) in one stretch. Is there any limitation for POP3 Adapter to read the number of emails in a specific Interval?

Thanks, Ranjan.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I think that if you manage to process all 500 emails in one stretch it will still process the 500 over and over again because they aren't deleted.

Can't you set the 2nd mailbox to delete the emails?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi RanjanKumarBehera,

I still have the same question of urs, like what is maximim size of messages, Pop3 adapter can pick at one shot..

I knew I am writing to your old post. hope you have got the answer by now.

Thanks,

Ganesh shanmugam.

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi Ganesh,

The POP3 adapter is tested to receive messages upto 50 MB in size. If you are getting messages on demand then there is no maximum no of messages.

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Monday, May 14, 2012 10:25 AM
  • POP 3 will delete msgs by design.

U can have a copy of the mails on the server by configuration.

Also alternatively u can go with EWS retrieving of emails for ur server.

In that u will have the control of deletion.

Also u will not face other issues such as multiple reads of same email and other issues which u r coming across if u use EWS.

Regards Ritu Raj Dont forget : - When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:03 PM