none
Supported MIME types for images and media in PresentationML RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a list of supported MIME types that can be used in PowerPoint-compliant PresentationML. These occur in [Content_Types].xml, but there are some issues I've noticed.

There doesn't seem to be a list anywhere of supported MIME types for PresentationML. It is fairly easy to determine what most of them are/can be using the Open XML SDK (see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/documentformat.openxml.packaging.mediadataparttype) , but there are some conflicts. For example:

For both mpeg and ogg video and audio, the extention is ".mpeg" and ".ogg" respectively, but it doesn't appear that there is allowance for two seperate files of different types (i.e. audio/video) to appear in the same presentation. If I insert an .ogg video and then a .ogg audio, only <Default Extension="ogg" ContentType="audio/ogg" /> will show up in [Content_Types].xml. It's unknown if the newer extentions of .oga or .ogv are used/accepted. The .mpeg exception also exists with both <Default Extension="mpeg" ContentType="video/mpeg" /> and   <Default Extension="mpeg" ContentType="audio/mpeg" /> being acceptable MIME types, but not in the same presentation.

While not a major issue, both   <Default Extension="jpeg" ContentType="image/jpeg" /> and  <Default Extension="jpg" ContentType="image/jpeg" /> seem to be allowed.

From the SDK, I can create:

<Default Extension="jpeg" ContentType="image/jpeg" />
      <Default Extension="bmp" ContentType="image/bmp" />
      <Default Extension="emf" ContentType="image/x-emf" />
      <Default Extension="gif" ContentType="image/gif" />
      <Default Extension="ico" ContentType="image/x-icon" />
      <Default Extension="jpg" ContentType="image/jpeg" />
      <Default Extension="pcx" ContentType="image/x-pcx" />
      <Default Extension="png" ContentType="image/png" />
      <Default Extension="tiff" ContentType="image/tiff" />
      <Default Extension="wmf" ContentType="image/x-wmf" />
      <Default Extension="aiff" ContentType="audio/aiff" />
      <Default Extension="asx" ContentType="video/x-ms-asf-plugin" />
      <Default Extension="avi" ContentType="video/avi" />
      <Default Extension="midi" ContentType="audio/midi" />
      <Default Extension="mp3" ContentType="audio/mp3" />
      <Default Extension="mpeg" ContentType="audio/mpeg" />
      <Default Extension="m3u" ContentType="audio/mpegurl" />
      <Default Extension="mpg" ContentType="video/mpg" />
      <Default Extension="ogg" ContentType="audio/ogg" />
      <Default Extension="mov" ContentType="video/quicktime" />
      <Default Extension="wmv" ContentType="video/vc1" />
      <Default Extension="wav" ContentType="audio/wav" />
      <Default Extension="wma" ContentType="audio/x-ms-wma" />
      <Default Extension="wmx" ContentType="video/x-ms-wmx" />
      <Default Extension="wvx" ContentType="video/x-ms-wvx" />

These appear to have conflict by extension:

<Default Extension="mpeg" ContentType="video/mpeg" />
      <Default Extension="ogg" ContentType="video/ogg" />

So I'm just looking for some documentation of acceptable MIME-types and clarity on how they are used together.

• Edited by Todd Main Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:03 PM
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Okatu,

Thanks again for your patience on this.  If you inserted media of file type .ogg then PowerPoint would look to see if some media application on the machine has registered the type under HKCR\.ogg\Content Type.  Because RFC 5334 associates .ogg with audio only, theoretically, it would be fine for an application to emit only the audio extention for .ogg.  And because there can be only one registry entry for Content Type, it would make sense (per RFC) that a media application would register .ogg as audio content type.  PowerPoint does not code for .ogg but instead refers to the registry. 

Regarding .oga and .ogv, for PowerPoint, these are fallback types.  For example, when the registry doesn't contain a Content Type entry for them, it will emit these as audio and video.

I hope this helps,

Tom

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Okatu

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Support. One of our engineers will follow up shortly.

Thanks.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi Okatu,

I'll look into this and get back to you as soon as I have some information.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Tom, any updates?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Still working on it Okatu, I will try to have something soon.  Thanks for your patience.

Tom

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Okatu,

Would you be able to send me a sample of both the audio/ogg vs video/ogg problem (i.e. when you insert both types of media) as well as sample of when you insert .oga or .ogv?  Just send what you have to dochelp at microsoft dot com and reference this thread's URL and my name (as usual). 

Thanks,
    Tom

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:08 AM
  • And actually, to answer your first question about which MIME types are supported, there isn't a list.  In PowerPoint, specifically, it is determined by the available installed codecs on the system. 

Tom

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Sorry about the delay. I've had a computer crash and don't currently have a dev box to recreate this on. That said, when I created it it was just a matter of using the Enums of AudioPartType and VideoPartType from the SDK of AudioPartType.Ogg and VideoPartType.Ogg, respectively. Creating both with will only allow one.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hi Okatu,

Thanks again for your patience on this.  If you inserted media of file type .ogg then PowerPoint would look to see if some media application on the machine has registered the type under HKCR\.ogg\Content Type.  Because RFC 5334 associates .ogg with audio only, theoretically, it would be fine for an application to emit only the audio extention for .ogg.  And because there can be only one registry entry for Content Type, it would make sense (per RFC) that a media application would register .ogg as audio content type.  PowerPoint does not code for .ogg but instead refers to the registry. 

Regarding .oga and .ogv, for PowerPoint, these are fallback types.  For example, when the registry doesn't contain a Content Type entry for them, it will emit these as audio and video.

I hope this helps,

Tom

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:41 PM