How to find the root cause of tempdb log file increasing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I found the tempdb log file size of one instance increased to 200 GB.
    how can i get the root cause of the issue?

any answer is appreciated.

thanks.

If you haven't all the things you want,be grateful for the things you don't have that you didn't want.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:35 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

thanks.

If you haven't all the things you want,be grateful for the things you don't have that you didn't want.

Microsoft has documnted this common issue please refer to below link for detailed explanation and queries

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176029(v=sql.105).aspx

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, September 1, 2014 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:47 AM

All replies

• To check what is causing this issue..

select t1.session_id , t1.request_id , task_alloc_GB = cast((t1.task_alloc_pages * 8./1024./1024.) as numeric(10,1)) , task_dealloc_GB = cast((t1.task_dealloc_pages * 8./1024./1024.) as numeric(10,1)) , host= case when t1.session_id < 50 then 'SYS' else s1.host_name end , s1.login_name , s1.status , s1.last_request_start_time , s1.last_request_end_time , s1.row_count , s1.transaction_isolation_level , query_text= coalesce((SELECT SUBSTRING(text, t2.statement_start_offset/2 + 1, (CASE WHEN statement_end_offset = -1 THEN LEN(CONVERT(nvarchar(max),text)) * 2 ELSE statement_end_offset END - t2.statement_start_offset)/2) FROM sys.dm_exec_sql_text(t2.sql_handle)) , 'Not currently executing') , query_plan=(SELECT query_plan from sys.dm_exec_query_plan(t2.plan_handle)) from (Select session_id, request_id , task_alloc_pages=sum(internal_objects_alloc_page_count + user_objects_alloc_page_count) , task_dealloc_pages = sum (internal_objects_dealloc_page_count + user_objects_dealloc_page_count) from sys.dm_db_task_space_usage group by session_id, request_id) as t1 left join sys.dm_exec_requests as t2 on t1.session_id = t2.session_id and t1.request_id = t2.request_id left join sys.dm_exec_sessions as s1 on t1.session_id=s1.session_id where t1.session_id < 50 -- ignore system unless you suspect there's a problem there and t1.session_id <> @@SPID -- ignore this request itself order by t1.task_alloc_pages DESC

Check is there any log running transactions and open transaction using DBCC Opentran()

If you are on SQL 2005, you can run this to find our why the transaction log won't truncate.

Find the problem with the transaction log

SELECT name, database_id, log_reuse_wait_desc

FROM sys.databases

Raju Rasagounder Sr MSSQL DBA

• Edited by RAJU RG Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:59 AM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:53 AM
  • Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:03 AM
  • Hi all,

thanks.

Microsoft has documnted this common issue please refer to below link for detailed explanation and queries

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176029(v=sql.105).aspx

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, September 1, 2014 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:47 AM