none
can we develop a .net application from any other operating system other than windows? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Rishad kp. When you compile your .NET code, the compiler translate it into a language called CIL (Common Intermediate Language). Microsoft releases the Microsoft .NET Framework for its operating system (Windows) so this operating system can run applications written in CIL Language. For other operating system there are projects like Mono. If you have an app written in any of the .NET Languages. It will run with no problem in Windows OS with the appropriate .NET Framework installed or it corresponding Mono version on Linux. My advise is that if you want to use .NET Framework platform to write your code think always on running it on Windows OS.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Yes. MonoDevelop not only creates applications that can run on multiple platforms (as others have mentioned), the IDE itself runs on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX). There may be other development environments for .Net applications that run on multiple platforms, but MonoDevelop is the one I have heard of.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Hello, it can be done. take a look at for example: MonoDevelop

HTH

please Mark as the Answer, If this answers your question. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Hello Rishad kp.

Since its very first relase, the .NET Framework has been designed and built to allow anyone to built a Common Language Runtime that can be executed on any operating system (even if Windows is the platform the .NET Framework is mainly targeted): anyone can download the Shared Source Common Language Infrastructure (SSCLI) and build a .NET Framework runtime that can be executed on an operating system different than Windows; one well known example is the Mono Project, who produced a .NET Framework implementation for Linux.
    You can download the SSCLI from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4917.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hello, it can be done. take a look at for example: MonoDevelop

HTH

please Mark as the Answer, If this answers your question. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Hi Rishad kp. When you compile your .NET code, the compiler translate it into a language called CIL (Common Intermediate Language). Microsoft releases the Microsoft .NET Framework for its operating system (Windows) so this operating system can run applications written in CIL Language. For other operating system there are projects like Mono. If you have an app written in any of the .NET Languages. It will run with no problem in Windows OS with the appropriate .NET Framework installed or it corresponding Mono version on Linux. My advise is that if you want to use .NET Framework platform to write your code think always on running it on Windows OS.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Hello Rishad kp.

Since its very first relase, the .NET Framework has been designed and built to allow anyone to built a Common Language Runtime that can be executed on any operating system (even if Windows is the platform the .NET Framework is mainly targeted): anyone can download the Shared Source Common Language Infrastructure (SSCLI) and build a .NET Framework runtime that can be executed on an operating system different than Windows; one well known example is the Mono Project, who produced a .NET Framework implementation for Linux.
    You can download the SSCLI from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4917.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Yes. MonoDevelop not only creates applications that can run on multiple platforms (as others have mentioned), the IDE itself runs on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX). There may be other development environments for .Net applications that run on multiple platforms, but MonoDevelop is the one I have heard of.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:03 PM
  • as many suggested, mono is one of such option (and the only 1 I awared).

and the ironic part is, this isn't supported by microsoft.

if you really looking for platform independency solution, i really advise you look into java.

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:43 AM