Unable to trace nested calls in IntelliTrace RRS feed

• Question

• After enabling IntelliTrace with the calls and events information. I am only able to view the first level calls, and not the nested calls. Is there any way from which I can view the nested calls as well?
    Suppose my program has 3 functions abc(), bcd(),cde(), I call abc() from main which inturn calls bcd() which inturn calls cde(). But the IntelliTrace views only main function entry , abc() and main function exit. I want to view the nested calls within abc() too.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tasheer,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, l have reproduced your issue in my side. Unfortunately, the same problem occurs with you, which seems to be an established function of intellisense. You can refer to this intellisense document

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/view-historical-application-state?view=vs-2019

> >And if you want to be aware of nested methods in the body of a method it doesn't seem like a good idea to return nested methods in the body of a first layer method so that you can debug your way into the body of a nested method.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:50 AM
  • Tasheer,

You can view all nested calls with my Runtime Flow extension.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Innovative Visual Studio extensions and tools

Thursday, September 26, 2019 3:46 AM
  • Hi Sergey,
    After running the exe file with the portable version, I want the result to be generated in a file. Is that possible?
    Friday, September 27, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Hi Sergey,
    After running the exe file with the portable version, I want the result to be generated in a file. Is that possible?
    Friday, September 27, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Tasheer,

You can save monitoring results (content of the Runtime Flow and Runtime Summary windows) to a .rdf file with the Save button on the toolbar. This file can be later reopened with the corresponding Open button:

Friday, September 27, 2019 10:05 AM
  • I want it to be generated automatically without manually saving it. Can it be done?
    Friday, September 27, 2019 11:01 AM
  • Tasheer,

Unfortunately, generating an .rdf file automatically is not currently supported.

Can you please describe a full scenario when you need such functionality?

Friday, September 27, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Hi Sergey,
    I am trying to extract the dynamic call stack of a .exe file. So I will be requiring it to directly write to a file and save it. Which I will use for further analysis.
    Monday, September 30, 2019 11:28 AM
  • Tasheer,

Yes, it is a good suggestion to run monitoring and save results automatically without UI. I've added it to my todo list.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:28 AM
  • Hi Sergey,
    I treid sending just the exe file and the pdb to my colleague. He downloaded the portable version from your website and run the exe with the portable version and there were no calls recorded. This is the scenario I am working on. I will just receive a .exe file and the pdb and I need to extract the call stack. 
    Tuesday, October 1, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Tasheer,

When no calls recorded with the portable edition, I'd check if the profiler is registered:

https://vlasovstudio.com/runtime-flow/documentation/quick_start.html#RunningPortable

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 5:59 AM
  • Sergey,
    How do I register the profiler? I have the admin rights
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:23 AM
  • Tasheer,

If you have only the portable edition installed, right click on the Register profiler for the local machine.cmd file and select Run as administrator.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Sergey,
    Even after doing it, the calls are not getting recorde. I can see only a blank screen.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:41 AM
  • Tasheer,

Can this problem be specific to the .exe file you are monitoring? Can you email the file to SergeyVlasov@vlasovstudio.com?

Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:37 AM