none
Native WiFi Signal Quality RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We provided several tests on AM/DM37x Evaluation KIT with WL1271 WLAN and Bluetooth module, concerning to signal quality of available WiFi Access Points.

On the difference operating systems (WinCE 6.0 and WEC7) observed a significant difference about 15-25 dBm on the same Evaluation Module.  Please see the description of

tests below:

1.       WinCE 6.0 R3, WiFi driver from Adeneo Embedded

Our application uses WZC for scanning of available WiFi Access points, retrieves and indicates the SSID, MAC Address and RSSI as described in the

WZC_WLAN_CONFIG. 

The received signal strength from the AP is -60 dBm  (distance between AM/DM37x and WiFi AP is  7 meters).

1.       WEC7, driver from Integrity-project

Application uses Native WiFi for reading and indication of necessary parameters, including signal quality:

The wlanSignalQuality used for calculation of RSSI, using linear interpolation (RSSI = (SignalQuality / 2) - 100), as described in the MS documentation.

The received signal strength of from the same AP is from -78 to -80 dBm  (distance between AM/DM37x and WiFi AP is  7 meters).

How can be explained the mentioned differences of RSSI indications on the same hardware? How this issue can be resolved?

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:33 AM

All replies

• Whose BSP are you using for DM3730 ?

Check with the BSP provider for the performance .

From the problem description i can suggest you to check the firmware which you are loading in case of DM3730 as compared to WinCE6.

WinCE 6 and EC7 has a different NDIS architecture but this should not effect the performance at least not to me when i worked with a different chipset (not WL1271)

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Dear Misbah,

Under WinCE 6.0 we use BSP_WINCE_ARM_A8_01_01_00_WL1271_M6.03 from Adeneo. The driver of WL1271 also from Adeneo Embedded.

For WEC7  - BSP_WINCE_ARM_A8_02_30_00_Source, and the driver from Integrity- Project.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:06 AM
  • Whose BSP are you using for DM3730 ?

Check with the BSP provider for the performance .

From the problem description i can suggest you to check the firmware which you are loading in case of DM3730 as compared to WinCE6.

WinCE 6 and EC7 has a different NDIS architecture but this should not effect the performance at least not to me when i worked with a different chipset (not WL1271)

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:07 AM
  • WL1271 is a TI chip set and as far as i know for WinCE6 driver is stable and performance is same as compared to linux or any other driver.

Adeneo's BSP for WinCE6 is same as base BSP released from TI

TI has not come up with WEC7 support for the same. The third party whose BSP you are using should help you in case of performance issues.

Try to use different firmware (WinCE6) and see if you getting the change in performance.

--- Misbah

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Dear Misbah,

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much
    Thank you very much
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

For WEC7 if the driver architecture is based on NDIS 6 NDIS_STATUS_DOT11_LINK_QUALITY is used for reporting RSSI or link status quality to NDIS. In the case of NDIS5 (used in WCE 6.0) there is a separate OID from OS OID_802_11_RSSI. So for NDIS6 some kind of a calculation will be involved to modify RSSI to link status quality.

With above in mind , if you have the source you may check if the calculations / conversions are proper. If not contact the vendor to getfurther support.

Regards,

Balaji.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:23 AM