none
Location API works intermittently RRS feed

  • Question

  • I just set up an account to use the Location Service.  I received the key and tried using it on the below sample request:

    http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?q=1600%20Pennsylvania%20Ave%20NW%20Washington,%20DC&o=xml&key=BingMapsKey

    Sometimes the request works.  Most of the time the request does not work.  I am not running a bunch of these requests - so I don't think I'm running out of licensing uses.  I simply copy and past the service URL into a web browser.  This morning it did not work.... then about 5 minutes later it did work.... then 5 minutes later it didn't work.  I used the same URL request (see above) each time.  Can anyone clue me in on what is going on?

    Thanks


    • Edited by econ1216 Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:09 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

  • Very odd. I've tried this query and hammered it with 1000 requests in a minute. The only requests that failed were one's that were rate limited. Rate limiting occurs when the frequency of the requests that are made exceeds a rate that would surpass the free terms of use. However based on what you are describing it doesn't sound like you are being rate limited. One thing you can do is check the header of the response to see if there is a flag to indicate if the request was rate limited. Details on this can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff701703.aspx

    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:12 PM

All replies

  • Very odd. I've tried this query and hammered it with 1000 requests in a minute. The only requests that failed were one's that were rate limited. Rate limiting occurs when the frequency of the requests that are made exceeds a rate that would surpass the free terms of use. However based on what you are describing it doesn't sound like you are being rate limited. One thing you can do is check the header of the response to see if there is a flag to indicate if the request was rate limited. Details on this can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff701703.aspx

    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Thank you for the response.

    I think the problem is only when I put the request URL within a browser.  However when I coded it up in C#, it works perfectly every time.  So the problem seems to occur only when I use a browser.  Note that the problem was in both IE and Chrome. 

    As you said - weird.  But at least it's working in the code.

    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:20 PM