none
VSTO ClickOnce addin disappearing if install location not available RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Outlook 2007 addin in VSTO 3 that we deploy via ClickOnce (using a DFS share).  However, in several cases we have successfully installed the adding and had it working and then had to take the DFS share offline to perform maintenance and some of the addins seem to disappear when Outlook starts up while the DFS location where we store the manifest/.vsto/appfiles is offline.

1st, is this the default behavior (I could not find any docs on what should happen if the install location is offline/unavailable).  2nd, is there any way to have the addin continue working even if the install location is not available (I could understand the addin not updating itself if the location is not available but do not understand why it would not run at all since all the app files are downloaded locally)

thanks,

Ashton

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Ashton,

I see no has responded and I didn't respond sooner because I've never used ClickOnce deployment for my VSTO add-ins, I've always used MSI, so I can't offer first hand certain advice.

However, it seems to me what is happening appears logical because the Window Registry doesn't know where the vsto manifest is when the DFS share is offine. AFAIK a vsto add-in is always loaded at the initial start-up of an Office application and again if not found in the designated path, then it's disabled.

If you want the add-in to always be available then the registry needs to point to the local location and not the DFS share.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, July 18, 2011 10:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Ashton,

I see no has responded and I didn't respond sooner because I've never used ClickOnce deployment for my VSTO add-ins, I've always used MSI, so I can't offer first hand certain advice.

However, it seems to me what is happening appears logical because the Window Registry doesn't know where the vsto manifest is when the DFS share is offine. AFAIK a vsto add-in is always loaded at the initial start-up of an Office application and again if not found in the designated path, then it's disabled.

If you want the add-in to always be available then the registry needs to point to the local location and not the DFS share.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, July 18, 2011 10:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Hi Ashton,

What is the status of the problem on your side? If you still show sany concern on your problem, just feel free to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:27 AM