SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 with .net Framework 3.5 SP1 and VS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developing  vb.net  project with .net framework 3.5 in VS2010 and I need to use SQL Server CE. I have .net Framework 3.5 SP1 and SQL Server CE SP2 installed.

I'm having two problems:

First, when I select 3.5 as the target framework, VS2010 doesn't recognize the 
    System.Data.SqlServerCe namespace.

Second, with .net 4.0, the namespace is recognized and the SqlCeDataAdapter, SqlCeConnection, etc., controls are available in the Toolbox but there's no configuration wizards, for example, when you drag an OledbDataAdapter to a form, a configuration wizard pops up and you can automatically create a connection and then a typed dataset which is really useful.

Already tried with SQL Server CE 3.5 first release and with SQL Server CE SP1 and the result is the same.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    • Moved by Helen Zhou Monday, September 12, 2011 6:50 AM (From:Windows Forms Data Controls and Databinding)
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:58 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply, I managed to find a solution.

I imported the SqlServerCe dll manually and then used the "Add New Data Source" functionality to generate a typed dataset and the correspondent TableAdapters which was all I needed.

With Oledb you can generate a typed dataset when adding a DataAdapter to a form, so I was trying to do it the same way with SqlCE, which for some reason didn't work.
    • Edited by joaosilva Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi joaosilva,

This is forum for Windows Forms issue, so the topic you proposed is off topic in this forum. I'm moving it to ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities forum to make it get better help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Hello,

From your description, did you mean that it didn't prompt configuration wizard window when you draged TableAdapter into DataSet? If yes, I made a test on my side. It looks OK. Could you please capture some screenshots in your reply to help us to analyze your question more detail?

In addition, it looks that this issue may be related to Visual Studio IDE. I referred to you some suggestion.

1. devenv.exe /ResetSettings

2. devenv.exe /SafeMode

Please feel free to let me know how's going now.

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 12, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, I managed to find a solution.

I imported the SqlServerCe dll manually and then used the "Add New Data Source" functionality to generate a typed dataset and the correspondent TableAdapters which was all I needed.

With Oledb you can generate a typed dataset when adding a DataAdapter to a form, so I was trying to do it the same way with SqlCE, which for some reason didn't work.
    • Edited by joaosilva Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:33 PM