Upgrade from Expression Blend 3 to Expression Blend 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Expression Blend 3 from the Microsoft Store for 293 euros on 5 May 2010, then moved to Expression Blend 4 RC.

I now see that my license for Expression Blend 4 RC will expire on 31 October. The only purchase option visible on the Microsoft Store is to upgrade to Expression Studio 4 Ultimate (Mise à jour Expression Studio 4 Ultimate) for 445 euros. This product includes Expression Blend 4 and also include three other products we have no use for and do not want to purchase.

I purchased Expression Blend 3 with the understanding that we would have a "free upgrade". How can I obtain a working copy of Expression Blend 4?

Thank you for a prompt reply.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:25 PM

All replies

• I believe that if you have Blend 3 installed, and then simply install the trial version of Blend 4 it should automatically be functional. 

Install the Ultimate trial from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/

Let us know if that doesn't work for you.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Chuck,

I have Expression Blend 4 RC installed on this machine. The original Expression Blend 3 which I purchased has been removed. I have a license number for the Expression Blend 3.

When I install the Ultimate trial, it does not accept the Expression Blend 3 license number.

Do I also have to have Expression Blend 3 installed on the same machine for the Ultimate trail to accept the license number?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:04 PM
  • I believe so. I think the way the upgrade was designed was that Blend 4 would accept an installed Blend 3 license. I can double check that information if it isn't working for you.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:17 PM
  • The installation does work in the following sequence:

Only Expression Blend 3 is installed on the machine.

Expression Blend SDK 4 must also be uninstalled.

Ultimate Trial is then installed and this also installs another version Blend SDK 3

The Expression Blend 4 program inherits the license from the Expression Blend 3 program.

Friday, September 17, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Hello Chuck,

I have expression blend 3 registered on my machine. How can I get it upgraded to blend 4.

I believe my blend 3 license should continue with upgrade to blend 4. Please guide me.

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:11 AM
  • You should still be able to install the Trial version and it should automatically be licensed if you have an appropriate version of Blend 3 installed. It has to be a retail version, not one from MSDN or other similar programs.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5915

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:30 PM