Looking for good resources dealing with Identity and multiple apps RRS feed

• Question

• User1374623307 posted

Good day,

I have been trying to find good resources about .Net Core Identity, and how to get it to work with multiple apps.  I have found plenty about setting up a login and registering users, and authorizing them to pages.  That does not help in solving my problem.  I am trying with multiple web applications to use the same Identity database, so that users sign in in one spot and can use the apps.  What I am trying to do is pull from the cookie, the userid to feed into the multiple controllers where needed so that it associates the data record with that particular user.  From there I can easily present to the user their data and no data from anyone else.

Unfortunately my search record with Bing, Google, Yahoo on these topics have been turning up the same stale scenarios.  How to create a login page, how to register users, how to authorize a user to certain areas.  Nothing on feeding cookie data (userid, user name) from one database to a completely different database.  I mean I know this is stuff people have done before, but why are there no good resources on it?  Do anyone know of a good resource about how this can be accomplished?

Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:40 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Identity is just an API with a SQL data store.  You can add Identity to any Core project using the startup.cs.  It's not clear why you are unable to configure Identity to use the same database in multiple projects.

Maybe you are trying to create a central login server?  If so, I recommend IdentityServer4.

http://docs.identityserver.io/en/latest/

Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:29 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

Or it might be some confusion accross the different steps and components coming into play? to start with could you clarify if your intent is to have users using their existing Microsoft, Google and Yahoo accounts  or if you want to create your own "account provider" and reuse it accross your apps (or this is internal apps inside your company).

IMO the very first step is to make sure who "owns" the account you want users to use for connecting to your app. You also have https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/b2b/compare-with-b2c etc...

Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:09 AM
  • User-2054057000 posted

I have been trying to find good resources about .Net Core Identity, and how to get it to work with multiple apps.

Identity is not a difficult topic to explore. It uses a database to work and this database is created during the migration process.

Start with following 2 basic topic:

1. Setup  and Configuration of Identity
    2. Create, Read, Update & Delete users in Identity

Once you have a basic knowledge of this topic, you can easily explore all the advanced topics of this area.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:59 AM
  • User1374623307 posted

I think what you are stating is what I am trying t come across with.  My Intent is to have a "landing" page for multiple apps where a use can register / sign in to the series of apps using an existing account or internal account.  From there I would like the session information to be served to each individual app so that it can see that they are logged into the app and provide the correct information to the users.

My apps already have the  code in place to use the same database for the user id information to add it to the tables in the specific app database where the user's id will be needed.  Though I guess they do not have the correct Identity views for if the session information is lost to allow them to log back into the app.

Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:14 PM