PDF reader

General discussion

• Early Windows 8 builds included built-in PDF reader, but Developer Preview doesn't have it. If you decided to remove it, please don't do it. Another common document format currently unsupported is doc, even though it's Microsoft's own format. Why not to include it to WordPad, which already supports docx, rtf and odt?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:07 AM

All replies

• As you may already know, PDF is an open format that was created by Adobe.  Support for additional file format is always nice to have.  We'll monitor these types of feedback and channel them back to the right people/team.

Regards,

Kim

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:59 PM
    Answerer
  • I did find it interesting that once you install Win8Dev and launch IE it will bring you to the MSDN site.  Also included is the Win8Dev guide.  Now the best question here is why would you have a pdf of it on the site when you already know that Win8Dev does not support pdf.  So what your telling me is that I need to switch back to my Win7 just to read the guide, then reboot to go back to Win8Dev.  I think it would have made a whole lot of sense if you included some type of pdf support.  Either that or not have the guide in pdf format which is unreadable on Win8Dev.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:34 AM
  • I think most people would use a stable computer to write code. You should not do production work in Windows 8, a file system bug could corrupt your source code.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback on PDF support. As Kim mentioned, we will pass it along to the appropriate team. You can install PDF reading applications that run from the desktop in Windows Developer Preview so that you don't need to reboot to access the guide. I've used both Adobe Reader X and Foxit Reader with our guide running from the desktop.

As for .doc format, I'll make sure we pass along that feedback as well. We do have a Word Viewer available if you only need to read an older Word document. You can find details on obtaining it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090

Thanks,

Rich

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:26 PM
    Answerer
  • If you mean the Developer Preview guide, there's a link to download the XPS version of the file, which you can read natively in Windows 8.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:36 PM
  • As for .doc format, I'll make sure we pass along that feedback as well. We do have a Word Viewer available if you only need to read an older Word document. You can find details on obtaining it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090

Ok, thanks Rich. But I think adding doc support to WordPad would be better, because it already supports most common document formats such as docx, rtf and odt and the only missing format is doc.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:43 AM