When Email is not Sent RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Customized Workflow on a task list using SPD 2007 to send an email to the Assigned To Collect Information from User. Simple Reject or Approve with Comment field.

What is happening here?

What is happening when the Task is assigned to someone, but the email is not sent. The workflow task says waiting for approver 1. Strange thing is other people assigned tasks are getting their Assigned To email. Stranger yet is this Assigned To was getting emails the other day. Alerts are working on the site.

Has anyone been able to troubleshoot this kind of problem and has found the answer.

Troubleshooting and NO Answers:
    ULS Logs
    Workflow History
    Task list Workflow
    Alerts are working
    Telnet to SMTP Server and can send email to User with email issue
    Using NLB
    No Anonymous Access
    Forms Based Authentication
    Versioning turned off on the Task List

chrisdoran
    • Edited by chrisdoran Friday, December 3, 2010 10:25 PM edit
    Friday, December 3, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• I have seen comments from people who do the

1) Stsadm –o sync –listolddatabases 0
    2) Stsadm –o sync –deleteolddatabases 0

and it messes up their server. I have waited till now to respond. I cannot explain why, but the issues has gone away for some times now.

chrisdoran
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 24, 2011 12:26 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this happening with only one user or with every user?

Regards

Ginni [My SharePoint Blog ]

Saturday, December 4, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Like I stated above, "other users are getting their email Assigned To notifications." I am thinking that this will start happening on others like it did on this user. I don't know what to look for???

I am going to try this http://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/step-by-step-tutorial-creating-workflows-for-windows-sharepoint-services-and-moss2007-part-1020/

http://blog.thekid.me.uk/archive/2007/07/25/debugging-tips-for-sharepoint-and-wss-exceptions.aspx

chrisdoran
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Hi chrisdoran,

Thanks for your question.

I am not quite sure the detailed information about your workflow. In order to better understand your issue, please provide the following information:

What SharePoint list does the workflow was attached to?

What are your condition and action in the workflow? For example, you can send the screenshot of the conditions and actions when you create the workflow to the forum.

What is your SharePoint server 2007’s version? For example, Which cumulative update did you install recently?

How did you select workflow start option?

What permission did the problematic user have?

What permission did the user who got his/her assigned to e-mail have?

In addition, firstly create a new user, then create a new site on your server, next create a workflow by using SPD, set the workflow to send to the Assigned To Collect Information from User when a task is assigned to someone, make sure the user has the same permission as the problematic user does , check the effect.

Hope this helps.

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, December 6, 2010 6:34 AM
  • What I am noticing in the Site Collection the Work e-mail is missing from the User Profile for the Site Collection. It is NOT there one moment and then appears an hour later. Why? I believe the workflow will not email the person if the work email is missing.

There are 2 WFE using NLB (software) and 1 indexing/query server that has CA installed on it.

The import is done at night, so there is nothing running during the day to make the email address disappear.

chrisdoran
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Hi Chrisdoran,

I completely agree with the steps mentioned by Rock Wang above . Please follow the same and let us know your findings . Can you also please validate if the email address of the user in AD with what you see in the User Profile properties  after an import . Once the user profile has been imported in the SSP, SharePoint provides the same profile data to all the site and site collections. So, it might be a case that your user profile is not sync properly. Use the below mentioned command to sync your user profile in SharePoint.

Based on your findings of the test mentioned above we may need to perform the actions below . <Please ensure that you have a working copy of SharePoint backup before you follow any steps below . Also the time parameters depends on how many user profiles you have and what frequesncy you would want the sync back to site collections. You can read more on the link - http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-user-profile-sync-issues-in-office-sharepoint-server-2007.aspx >

3) Stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1
    4) Stsadm –o sync –sweeptiming m:1
    5) Stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1
    6) Stsadm –o sync –excludewebapps

Thanks ,

Manas

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:21 AM
  • I have seen comments from people who do the

and it messes up their server. I have waited till now to respond. I cannot explain why, but the issues has gone away for some times now.

chrisdoran
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 24, 2011 12:26 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 12:16 PM