Tabbed page in a Windows Store App

Question

• I am creating a Windows 8.1 app (Windows Store App) and I need to have a tab-based page in this app. As an example, for adding a new contact, I need to group the new contact details in tabs which can be switched from the left side menu items.

I tried to use a FlipView for this purpose but I don't want the users to be able to switch between pages by flipping. I want to create a page similar to [Add a recipe] page in Microsoft Food & Drink app.

How can I do this?

Friday, March 20, 2015 4:58 AM

Answers

• Metro does not have a tab control.

However, it is relatively easy to build your own.  In one of my apps, I built a very complex tab system with pages flying in and out or fading in and out with only the visibility and storyboard controls.

Added by edit.

For a demo, just look up metro word in the store and try the trial.  With just the visibility and storyboard controls, you can do plenty.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:37 PM

All replies

• You can create a Page that contains a Frame and switch out the frame as each menu item is clicked.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, March 20, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Matt,

Thanks for your reply. But I'm looking for something which can show a few separated sections in one page. Like what the Tab control does in a Windows desktop application. The frame is for showing page instances.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:31 PM
  • Metro does not have a tab control.

However, it is relatively easy to build your own.  In one of my apps, I built a very complex tab system with pages flying in and out or fading in and out with only the visibility and storyboard controls.

Added by edit.

For a demo, just look up metro word in the store and try the trial.  With just the visibility and storyboard controls, you can do plenty.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:37 PM