Disable Error Checking While I'm Typing A Line Of Code RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to get the Error List to wait to update until I finish typing the current line of code.  For example, I'll have a perfectly good page full of code, no errors:

But then I decide to add something....as I start typing, every line below what I'm typing is instantly considered an error and changes to red/underlined, etc. (see image below).  Now, there are clearly not suddenly 115 errors in my code...I'm just typing a new line.  This mess didn't happen in VS2010 and to be honest, I've never upgraded because this was just too irritating to deal with:

So....is there a way to get this "feature" turned off so that it only displays actual errors?  In VS2010, it would display errors on the line you were typing as you typed, but didn't instantly distract you with hundreds of errors every time you typed an open quote mark, or typed the first word of a function/class/property, etc. (i.e. as you were typing, before you completed the structure with an END).

I'd love a solution if there's one out there.  

r.g.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:44 PM

Answers

• Hi DigitalWidgets,

>>Or at a minimum, only mark the line of code I'm typing on as invalid until I've finished working on that line.

As far as I know, when we type an open quotation mark, VS will help us type two quotation mark, and the cursor will be placed in middle of them.

>>I even saw that behavior in the Microsoft VS 2017 roll out videos....the presenter opens a project, scads of errors show up for a few seconds, then they magically disappear.

According to this situation, I think VS2015 and VS2017 will check the code from top to bottom, we could check the error place from the first error.

>>Perhaps the answer is, there is no answer to my complaint in the current version.

There no settings in VS could resolve this issue currently, but I think your idea is reasonable. I have helped you submitted a User Voice to VS connect, I think engineers from the MS will evaluate this issue seriously:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/18570913-disable-other-lines-error-checking-while-type-an-o

You could vote this User Voice, and comment it.

And you could mark this reply, which could help others who have the same idea to vote and comment it. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Oscar_Wu Friday, March 10, 2017 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by DigitalWidgets Friday, March 10, 2017 5:32 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi DigitalWidgets,

According to your description, I think we could select the Build Only option from the following screenshot:

But the red squiggles in code could not be disappeared. This only happened in VB, which is caused by the language type. And I have checked the settings in Tools->Options, there is no option could change it. 

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Oscar_Wu Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Oscar_Wu Friday, March 10, 2017 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:26 AM
  • Hi my friend,

If my help you resolved your doubts, please remember to mark it as answer, which could be helpful for others who has the same doubts. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
    Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Unfortunately, selecting "Build Only" doesn't show you your errors until you build your project.....which takes a few minutes in the project I'm working on....so builds aren't something I do very often.

This worked fine in VS2010.  I'm glad MS engineers have made the IntelliSense error checking so fast that it can happen while I'm typing....but in reality, typing an open quotation mark as part of a line of code doesn't really mean that I suddenly have hundreds of lines of errored code.  Actually, at the point I'm typing my open quotation mark, there should be absolutely no error evaluation done at all...let me finish typing please!  Or at a minimum, only mark the line of code I'm typing on as invalid until I've finished working on that line.

It's just very frustrating to constantly see hundreds of errors pop on and off the error list as I'm working.  

It's also ridiculous that the IntelliSense errors list hundreds of errors while your project is loading.  I even saw that behavior in the Microsoft VS 2017 roll out videos....the presenter opens a project, scads of errors show up for a few seconds, then they magically disappear.  If there weren't really any errors in the code, the error window should never have displayed any errors.  Very disconcerting when I open big projects and see hundreds of errors listed for quite some time before it gets all the files loaded and actually can evaluate all the code as a package.

Microsoft used to have this feature better (VS 2012 worked fine), but now it's distracting and actually the display of "non-errors" is something I would consider a broken feature or bug in the newer versions of VS.

Anyway, my rant may fall on deaf ears...the new "feature" was clearly visible in the demonstration videos in the VS 2017 roll out, and the users doing the demos just acted like it wasn't there and just talked over it while their screens were displaying stacks of errors that weren't really errors.

Perhaps the answer is, there is no answer to my complaint in the current version.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hi DigitalWidgets,

>>Or at a minimum, only mark the line of code I'm typing on as invalid until I've finished working on that line.

As far as I know, when we type an open quotation mark, VS will help us type two quotation mark, and the cursor will be placed in middle of them.

>>I even saw that behavior in the Microsoft VS 2017 roll out videos....the presenter opens a project, scads of errors show up for a few seconds, then they magically disappear.

According to this situation, I think VS2015 and VS2017 will check the code from top to bottom, we could check the error place from the first error.

>>Perhaps the answer is, there is no answer to my complaint in the current version.

There no settings in VS could resolve this issue currently, but I think your idea is reasonable. I have helped you submitted a User Voice to VS connect, I think engineers from the MS will evaluate this issue seriously:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/18570913-disable-other-lines-error-checking-while-type-an-o

You could vote this User Voice, and comment it.

And you could mark this reply, which could help others who have the same idea to vote and comment it. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Oscar_Wu Friday, March 10, 2017 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by DigitalWidgets Friday, March 10, 2017 5:32 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Thank you Oscar for the reference to the User Voice forums and for forwarding the post.  I know this isn't a deal breaker for some, but having worked in Visual Studio since the beginning, this has been an annoyance that has prevented me from upgrading (i.e., no other feature made an upgrade worth the anxiety of massive lists of errors in my code while I work).

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.  I am forcing myself to work in VS2017 for a week here to see if I can psychologically deal with the issue.  I'm primarily a .NET web developer and pretty much just use VS as a powerful text editor (i.e. I don't use many of the bells and whistles like unit testing and code analysis).

Thank you again for the input!

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:38 PM