none
xp support for kinnect RRS feed

• Question

• typical microsoft, they never look after their customers, we pay your wages and buy your products the least microsoft could do is offer a update so the kinnect will run on xp computers.. we dont care about windows 7 we are bothered about xp sort it.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:47 AM

All replies

• typical microsoft, they never look after their customers, we pay your wages and buy your products the least microsoft could do is offer a update so the kinnect will run on xp computers.. we dont care about windows 7 we are bothered about xp sort it.

I really don't get what you are saying here? Maybe you should change this to a discussion versus a question?

Not that I think Microsoft will support windows XP in the future for this SDK, but do you realise how old that operating system is? It was released in October of 2001. Do you seriously expect software developers, no matter how large, to support their products for that many years? I mean they dropped support in 2009, you'd have to admit that, that's still quite a lengthy period for them to have supported such a product.

...Not to start a flame war, but do you wish for them to support windows 2000, windows ME and windows 98 too?

In a more productive manner, there may be a work around to getting the Kinect SDK working in XP, so maybe someone will be able to help. Alternatively have you tried Open NI? They support multiple operating systems, and, whilst not officially Microsoft, may serve to support your needs.

As software developers you have to realise that you must meet the needs of new and growing markets, especially the ones that you, yourself have created, and by releasing new operating systems, you must place your priorities accordingly. If you ever develop something on the Kinect now, do you expect in 10 years + to still be supporting it?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:37 AM
  • I agree with ni28 because by the time windows 8 comes out no more updates will be given for windows xp and it will become obsolete so any gesture to keep it will come at loss in about 5 years or so because it will become like windows 2000 is now, Nothing available for it! or at least few products left. 

Despite using xp now you need to be thinking about upgrades procedures because i use xp at my work along with windows 7 and windows 7 with sp1 is so stable compared to windows xp.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:24 PM