none
Does WCF Routing service Terminates connection? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If I use WCF Routing service, does it act as a reverse proxy which terminates the initial connection ?

I have the requirement to make sure this acts as Reverse proxy where by it terminates the initial connection at DMZ.

Is there an out of box solution when it comes to WCF?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks and Regards

Jow

Jow

• Edited by Jowins Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Jow,

>> I guess it can not as they are different end points and so establishes a new connection

Yes, you are right. Y will establish a new connection to Z and forward the message from X to Z.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jowins Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:44 AM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Jow,

>>I have the requirement to make sure this acts as Reverse proxy where by it terminates the initial connection at DMZ

Could you share us the reason you need to terminate the connection? If the connection is terminated, do you need to send response back?

I suggest you check whether One-way Services meet your requirement.

#One-Way Services

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wcf/feature-details/one-way-services

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Thank you very much for the reply Tao.

What I meant by terminating the connection is, it should not be using the same connection to talk to the internal services which is again WCF services. Essentially should not forward the connection but should create a new connection from it to the internal services to get data and pass that back in the initial connection.

The client is in internet say X which connects to the WCF Routing Service say Y which with its filters knows the internal Services to connect to get the data say Z. Here the WCF Routing Service (Y) acts as the Reverse Proxy right? 

Does the WCF Routing service (Y) uses the same connection from the public client (X) to connect to the internal service Z? (I guess it can not as they are different end points and so establishes a new connection)?

Am I right in saying that the WCF Routing service (Y) while keeping the request connection from client (X) makes a new connection to (Z) forwarding the message from X to Z, gets the response and passes the response back to X in the same request response it is keeping.

Is this right? Or is it how WCF Routing Service works?

Thanks a lot

Jow

Jow

• Edited by Jowins Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Hi Jow,

>> I guess it can not as they are different end points and so establishes a new connection

Yes, you are right. Y will establish a new connection to Z and forward the message from X to Z.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jowins Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:44 AM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:37 AM