What will happen if can't activate during a natural diaster?

Question

• Hypothetical situation:

What if a major event happens where we can not activate windows via phone or internet due to a major event be it weather or "Act of God"?

How then will users be able to get and access important data? with out windows either shutting down or other wise going poof?

I realise the need to curb piracey but has any one though of the consequences of having to activate ones product?

There should be a new way for activation and if we must key in a serial, then it must activate our products.

I am not the only one to think of this but a few of my friends are asking as well.

Original Title: Have a big fat WHAT IF

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:10:07 +0000, Cyber_Defend_Team wrote:

Another good way is to recommend Microsoft to create emergency activation in country that face natural disaster.

If the Internet is down, you can activate by phone, if both the phone and
    the Internet is down, you can't activate. As I posted, you have a total of
    120 days to activate.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    People who deal with bits should expect to get bitten.  -- Jon Bentley

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• If up to my neck in a crocodile infested swamp, I am afraid the last thing on my mind would be activating a mobile phone. My only hope would be that emergency numbers bypass such things.

No one can acuse me of being a fan of Microsoft but I do have to say that registering an operating system has always been a relatively painless affair. Even by phone it is only a matter of minutes and my fingernails remain unmutilated. So what if there is a disaster. If I am correct you have 30 days to activate windows during which there is no restriction on use.

Unless you lose the activation code under all that volcanic ash.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Actually with all the natural disasters happening lately has got me thinking what if..what if it is over thirty days..

I wasn't meaning for it to be a joke.. it is a serious question ..

and I been through a volcanic eruption..Remember or heard of MT ST Helens? ash effects everything. it shorts power lines, it shuts down vehicles by destroying engines. I don't want to go through that ever again.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:33 AM
  • On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 03:33:53 +0000, ASUSTUV4x wrote:

Actually with all the natural disasters happening lately has got me thinking what if..what if it is over thirty days..

You always have the option to reset the activation grace period up to 3
    times, giving you a total of 120 days to activate. If some kind of natural
    disaster is preventing you from activating for more than 120 days then
    you've got bigger problems than simply being able to activate a client OS
    with Microsoft.

slmgr /rearm from an elevated command prompt.

Paul Adare
    Disc space -- the final frontier!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I guess 30 day is enough for trial, for any natural disasters , the respose won't take very long .

Another good way is to recommend Microsoft to create emergency activation in country that face natural disaster. In case of natural disasters, Microsoft is usually there for emergency response and help of country, it could be good idea to suggest emergency activation service in disasters.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:10 PM
  • On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:10:07 +0000, Cyber_Defend_Team wrote:

Another good way is to recommend Microsoft to create emergency activation in country that face natural disaster.

If the Internet is down, you can activate by phone, if both the phone and
    the Internet is down, you can't activate. As I posted, you have a total of
    120 days to activate.

Paul Adare
    People who deal with bits should expect to get bitten.  -- Jon Bentley

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:16 PM
  • That is what I was trying to get at.

No one wants to think of the "what if scenereos that could happen".

and no offence but merely statng the re-arm work around may not always be the case.

I am not here to create an argument for or against activation, what needs to happen is that there needs to be some seriouse discusions on this issue, and burying our head in the sand will nt make it go away.

I understand the re-arm work around. 

Point being is that there needs to be a way to activate windows with out Phone and with out internet, believe it or Not there are places here in my area, where some do NOT have Phone and Internet services. 

it is in this case, where I feel that the activation scheme fails.

So what are those people supose to do?

• Edited by ASUSTUV4x Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:11 PM
  •  Windows will continue to work if it is not activated. I believe the current behavior is that the computer will restart every 60 minutes if it is not activated and the grace period has expired. It will ultimately be up to the user to decide if it is more convenient to move to an area not affected by the natural disaster and activate, or restart his/her computer every hour (though continued use of Windows in this case may be in violation of the EULA). Microsoft has toll-free activation hotlines in many countries around the world.

If you have any ideas for how we can make Activation more accessible, I will be happy to pass them on to one of my colleagues here in Redmond. However, I'm pretty sure* that we're not going to get rid of it just in case a natural disaster simultaneously destroys all our activation centers :-)

* = not official; my own opinion

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:55 PM
  • and on the bright side even a precious mobile phone may be of no use during a natural disaster.... But on a more serious note I often wonder~ could we consider the end of civilisation something inevitable and program computers to keep going without us?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:04 AM