none
Outlook Issue - Draft still there after Sending? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

I am wondering if this is an Outlook problem rather than a development problem.

Every time a mail is sent, a copy still remains in Drafts, even though the message has been sent.
    I don't save a draft anywhere so I imagine it's something to do with Outlook.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 3:34 PM

Answers

• >>>It only seems to save a draft if using a gmail account....it won't leave even after the message being sent.

Do you mean that a gmail account cause this issue, if you save a draft by using other account, could you reproduce this issue.

If just gmail account, there is a known issue with Outlook 2013 using IMAP with Gmail, in which the changes made on Outlook do not sync with Gmail or are extremely slow in syncing.

So I suggest you coule post your issue to Gmail Help Forum

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Wednesday, December 23, 2015 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Darryl,

Typically sent items are moved to the Sent Items folder. However, you may set the DeleteAfterSubmit property which is True if a copy of the mail message is not saved upon being sent, and False if a copy is saved. What code exactly do you have? Do you modify the item in the ItemSend event handler?

Sunday, December 13, 2015 4:58 PM
  • The DeleteAfterSubmit property will not help with an item left in the Drafts folder.

What code do you have in the ItemSend event handler?

Sunday, December 13, 2015 5:45 PM
  • Theres nothing in there at the moment.

I really need to find another way to get the recipients rather than save the mail or I might be stuck with a draft.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Save is the only possible solution to get the actual property values. Or you juist need to navigate to another inspector fields programmatically imitating the Tab control behavior.
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Is there no way to delete the draft then?
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 10:28 PM
  • Is there no way to delete the draft then?
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 10:28 PM
  • >>>Every time a mail is sent, a copy still remains in Drafts, even though the message has been sent.

If you sent a mail manually, could you reproduce this issue? Have you changed some settings in Outlook?

Otherwise could you provide more information about this issue, for example screenshot, sample code, Outlook version etc., that will help us reproduce and resolve your issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:19 AM
  • It only seems to save a draft if using a gmail account....it won't leave even after the message being sent.

If I send the mail manually, then the draft does disappear.

It must be the mailItem.Save, I use in my code. But I need to use that to get my recipients. Or recipients.Count seems to be 0.

Monday, December 14, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Is there anyway, I could create a new folder and possibly save it to that?
    Monday, December 14, 2015 1:46 PM
  • You can use the Delete method of the MailItem class which removes the item from the folder that contains the item. The Delete method moves the item from the containing folder to the Deleted Items folder. If the containing folder is the Deleted Itemsfolder, the Delete method removes the item permanently.
    Monday, December 14, 2015 3:12 PM
  • But wouldn't that remove it from SentItems?
    Monday, December 14, 2015 5:01 PM
  • You can use the Move method. See How to: Programmatically Move Items in Outlook for more information. 
    Monday, December 14, 2015 5:09 PM
  • I am not trying to move anything. I want it to work like a normal mail.

I have my own send button - but it seems to create a draft after the item is sent. The item already appears in the sent box.

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:17 PM
  • I don't have any emails left in the Drafts folder. Do you get the same results when doing the same operation manually?
    Monday, December 14, 2015 7:08 PM
  • >>>It only seems to save a draft if using a gmail account....it won't leave even after the message being sent.

Do you mean that a gmail account cause this issue, if you save a draft by using other account, could you reproduce this issue.

If just gmail account, there is a known issue with Outlook 2013 using IMAP with Gmail, in which the changes made on Outlook do not sync with Gmail or are extremely slow in syncing.

So I suggest you coule post your issue to Gmail Help Forum

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Wednesday, December 23, 2015 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:34 AM
  • If you can find the item in the Drafts folder - no.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:07 PM