ATA Secure Erase in Windows 8, and VM installation on SSD optimization

General discussion

• (1) I often tout Windows 7 for being one of the first OS to support TRIM, but doing a secure erase in Windows 7 is harder than pulling teeth.  Data security being a constant issue of SSD data deletion, shouldn't Windows 8 provide a tool to secure erase or to zero out/shred disks/partitions/files, so that die-hard Windows fans do not have to resort to Parted Magic or the now-unsupported HDDErase of UCSD to do something so rudimentary?  I understand that it's up to the SSD vendor to implement secure erase properly, but it would be awesome if there is a secure erase interface that is native in Windows 8.

Edit: Based on AnandTech's experiment back in 2009, partition format could force a TRIM (secure delete) SSD partition. However, if I understand it correctly, TRIM is non-deterministic.  So I still think there should be a user-friendly interface to invoke TRIM or to secure erase without having to format a partition.  Of course, TRIM support on RAID would be another big step forward.

(2) On the subject of SSD, it would also be super cool if the installation of Windows 8 VM (or non-VM) would allow the installer to specify whether the installation should be optimized for SSD, so that we don't need to painstakingly optimize our physical Windows OS or Windows VM to optimize SSD performance and life span.  For example, Windows 7 has defragmentation service auto-scheduled and pre-fetching feature enabled even for VMs, which may not be desired if the VMs are on a SSD.  Better yet, these steps could be easily switched through a single interface, in case you upgrade your PC from HDD to SSD, or move your SSD from HDD to SSD.

What do you think?

• Edited by lkeng Monday, February 20, 2012 5:58 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 5:48 AM