SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x64) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have written a program in VB 2008 that uses SQL Server 2005 Express Edition and I have a Setup Project that has the box for the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86) prerequisite checked. It installs and runs perfectly on 32 bit machines but it will not install on 64 bit machines. Is there a prerequisite for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x64) for 64 bit target machines that can be added to the list of prerequisites. If so, where can it get it and how do I add it to the prerequisite list?

Thank you,

Dan  

• Moved by Bob Beauchemin Monday, February 14, 2011 5:41 AM Moved to a possibly more relevent forum (From:.NET Framework inside SQL Server)
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi DanFSD,

From the Microsoft Download website for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2, there are two setup file: SQLEXPR32.EXE and SQLEXPR.EXE.

To add SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x64) as prerequisites in your setup project, we could download the file SQLEXPR.EXE to your file system, and choose it via the option "Download prerequisites from the following location:" in Visual Studio.

Note:  SQLEXPR32.EXE is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server Express on 32-bit operating systems only. The larger SQLEXPR.EXE package supports installing onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WOW install) operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages.

Download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=31711d5d-725c-4afa-9d65-e4465cdff1e7&displaylang=en (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2)

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Ashish Kumar Mehta Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have written some programs using VB2008 on my XP machine that use MS SQL Server Express Edition. I have written Setup Projects for these programs that have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86) Prerequisite checked and work just fine, when the program in installed on 32 bit machines but not on Windows 7 64 bit machines. However, I need to also be able to insatll these programs on Windows 7 64 bit machines. Can I download  SQLEXPR_x86 (Microsft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition) from the Microsoft Download Center and intall it on my XP machine that has the Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition on it without damaging my existing programs that use SQL Server 2005 Express Edition right now or my exisiting databases the I created within VB2008. Also, will a prerequisite for SQLEXPR_x86 for x86 and x64 appear in the list of prerequisites after it is installed?

Thank you,

Dan

• Merged by WeiLin Qiao Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:13 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hi DanFSD,

From the Microsoft Download website for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2, there are two setup file: SQLEXPR32.EXE and SQLEXPR.EXE.

To add SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x64) as prerequisites in your setup project, we could download the file SQLEXPR.EXE to your file system, and choose it via the option "Download prerequisites from the following location:" in Visual Studio.

Note:  SQLEXPR32.EXE is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server Express on 32-bit operating systems only. The larger SQLEXPR.EXE package supports installing onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WOW install) operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages.

Download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=31711d5d-725c-4afa-9d65-e4465cdff1e7&displaylang=en (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2)

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Ashish Kumar Mehta Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hello,

I downloaded the SQLEXPR.EXE  file to my my doculents folder but I could not browse to it from "Download prerequisites from the following location:" Am I just supposed to download the .EXE file to a folder or do I need to run the .EXE to install the prerequisite? If I should download to a particular folder, what folder should it be? Please be as explicit as possible with your instruction.

Thank you,

Dan

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:20 AM
  •  

Hi DanFSD,

Per the explanation for this option 'Download prerequisites from the following location', we could just download the SQLEXPR.EXE and put this file on an accessible location(fullly qualified URL or UNC path), for example, we could create a shared folder and specified its UNC path, so when the users install your program, it would download SQL Server from this location and install it as prerequisites .

'Download prerequisites from the following location':

Specifies that the prerequisite components be installed from the location that you select. We could use the Browse button to select a location.

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Friday, February 18, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hello Weilin,

I appologize but I am not following this.

1. If I use " Download prerequisites from the following location:", will the other prerequisites that I have checked in "Choose which prerequisites to install" still be installed and will I have to uncheck "SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)" that I have currently checked?

2. Should I copy SQLEXPR.EXE into a Special Folder that I can add to my Setup Project and then show the path to it when it is installed on the target computer. If this is the case, if don't understand how I could browse to it from the Prerequisites window in the Setrup Project becasue that folder would not exist yet.

3. Or should I copy SQLEXPR.EXE into a folder on my computer and browse to it. If so, where should this folder be created? (system, system32, or something like that)

Thank you,

Dan

• Proposed as answer by ambarish_India Monday, March 14, 2011 11:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:43 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hello,

I have tried BMG before and failed but the link that you suggested may help me get it done. Can you tell me if the Project Name on the BMG Package to Install dialog a name that is already associated with the desired prerequisite file name, or is it a name that I would choose for the name of the package, or does it have to be something else that is specific?

Thank you,

Dan

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:58 AM