Trigger a workflow from the "Create Item" Activity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

I am relatively new to MOSS and SPD. I am working on a MOSS2007 site and SPD2007. Is there a way to trigger a workflow from the "Create Item" activity? I am aware that I cannot do it with a single workflow unless the workflow is set to NOT "Automatically start this workflow whenever a new item is created", so I am using two workflows. The first WF is set to run when a new item is created. This WF calculates my variables and stores them in list fields. It is set to pause until one of those variables (Date/Time) is reached and then it sends an email, makes a change to the list item and ends. This change to the list item then triggers the other WF which looks at the stored variables in the list item to populate the new list item to be created. The “Create Item” activity runs properly but when the new item (a recurring or new instance of the first item) is created, it does not trigger the first workflow. It seems to me that this should be pretty straight forward but I cannot figure out why it is failing to trigger.

Anyone have some insight into this?

Thanks!

Patrick

Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:47 PM

Answers

• Oh no! I am sorry. I messed up on my the forum choice. I will repost in another forum. As far as the other thing, I said that if I use one workflow, the WF will not save in SPD if the WF is set to trigger on create. This is to prevent infinite loops from triggering over and over. MS has set it up that to trigger this trigger this, you will need to use two workflows. It is the same way you must create recurring email reminders.

• Marked as answer by PSKelligan Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:56 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:42 PM

All replies

• Wrong forum. 

I do not understand the statement:

'I am aware that I cannot do it with a single workflow unless the workflow is set to NOT "Automatically start this workflow whenever a new item is created"'

That is the opposite of what you need to do.  If you want it to fire when a new item is created, then you MUST select that option.

Ed

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Oh no! I am sorry. I messed up on my the forum choice. I will repost in another forum. As far as the other thing, I said that if I use one workflow, the WF will not save in SPD if the WF is set to trigger on create. This is to prevent infinite loops from triggering over and over. MS has set it up that to trigger this trigger this, you will need to use two workflows. It is the same way you must create recurring email reminders.

• Marked as answer by PSKelligan Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:56 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:42 PM