closeApp() leaves taskbar tile after spring updates for IE11

Question

• Hi,

the windows8.1 spring updates included showing store app tiles on the desktop tasks bar.....

I was already using onclick="closeApp()" in my html5 app to provide a 'close' button for my html5 app....

<button style="float:right" data-win-control="WinJS.UI.AppBarCommand" data-win-options="{id:'cmdClose',label:'Close',icon:'clear',tooltip:'Close App'}" onclick="closeApp();"></button>

now if a user clicks my 'close' button, the app closes, but the desktop tasks bar tile remains...(unexpected)....

I would like the task bar tile to disappear when closeApp is called in my html5 app (expected)...

does anybody know of a workaround?

where can I post feedback/feature requests? is http://connect.microsoft.com/ie appropriate?

thx in advance....

Rob^_^

Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:36 AM

Answers

• Here is an appropriate place to post. The problem is that apps aren't expected to exit themselves. Instead let the user use the system provided methods to close apps.

From the close docs:

Using the close method in a Windows Store app using JavaScript

Invoking the window.close method on a Windows Store app using JavaScript closes the app without prompting the user.

It is against Windows Store policy to programmatically close your app. The only time an app should programmatically close is when there is an unrecoverable error, in which case the app should throw an unhandled exception or  use the MSApp.terminateApp method.

In you use window.close, it appears as a crash to the user is logged as a crash in the developer’s telemetry data on the Windows Store dashboard

• Marked as answer by IECustomizer Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:46 AM
    Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:54 PM
    Owner