Web Sites backups, possible bug since last days/hours (I believe it had work before) RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to make a backup and restore a full WebSite and Its Database (a recently DNN from gallery with few modifications) , the restore options is not recognizing, sometimes, the database included in the backup.

I have unzip the zip file, and the database is indeed in the file, 

I have move files from one subscription to a trial-one-month subscription, behaviour seems erratical

The backup can be from same site (PREVIOUS BACKUP FOR THIS WEB SITE) of from other website (STORAGE ACCOUNT FILE), doesn't make a diference

I compare two un-ziped files, one that get identify the database, one that not, I can't find the difference

I try with renamed files (both zip and xml, to add small description), and with "original" files: some original work, other no, some renamed work, others no

even at file-level thing, I can't find a "replicability" behaviour, a file that works in a subscription, it does not get identified the database on other suscription

Sorry I can't give more info, but it is all I can find so far

Any other info I could provide ?

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:49 PM

Answers

• @ppGrnd Pleaase contact me via email and I will get you connected with Petr to investigate your condition. My email:

DAVIDLAM

AT

Microsoft.com

Thanks!

David Lamb

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Starting at 8/6/2014 6:56 UTC a subset of customers using websites and SQL databases in North Europe may have difficulties accessing their resources. You may find the status here http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/

At present you should be able to back-up your website and its database.

Please mark as answer if this post has helped.

Girish Prajwal

Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

The outage which Started at 8/6/2014 6:56 UTC, This incident has now been mitigated.

Engineers have recovered impacted SQL databases and validated service health.

Girish Prajwal

Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:48 AM
  • It seems to be a different error, as it is not a problem with the SQL server, but with the backup restore option that do not recognize the database included in the file.

Here a screen shoot (hand made, sorry) : http://oi60.tinypic.com/2cqm9lf.jpg

I had tested again with a file that in the other subscription worked ok, and my subscription still not find the database within

Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:11 AM
  • More onto this:

seems something has been corrected, at least Azure is recognizing the databases inside the backup file for the same website, 

but:

- Azure does not recognize the database of a backupfile made on another subscription (backup made few minutes ago, so it should not be subject of the error that you mention). Isn't this suppose to work?

- On "chose backup source" -> "previous for this website", Azure shows backups that have been deleted from the blob, of course, it generate an error: "Unexpected error". How Azure is not able to identify that a backup has been deleted?, 

I think that the Backup tab needs a PREVIEW  tag, or even better a Bugged-BETA tag

Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:35 PM
  • Does the error about not recognizing database from a different subscription happen every time? If so, would you be able to provide us a time stamp and e.g. beginning of your subscription id (just first 8 characters, do not post the whole ID)? We can take a look then. This should definitely work and the backend service cannot actually even tell a difference between the same subscription and a different subscription.

Hitting a backup which was manually deleted shouldn't end with an unexpected error. I will make sure this gets fixed.

Thanks,
    Petr

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Hello Petr,

thanks for caring about this problem

I am just trying once more again,

I create a backup for the site  http://probandodnnfromgallery2ndtry.azurewebsites.net/

under the subscription 064386ca-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx

with the name (timestamp included) : ProbandoDNNfromGallery2ndTry_201408120925.zip

(a backup of about 50mb with a bacpac of 587.580 bytes on the )

And try to restore in the subscription: 6ffb88ba-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

(after download with Azure Storage Explorer to my desktop and upload in the other subscription)

the result: NO DATABASE DETECTED 

why Microsoft is not so friendly with the backups of the own SQL servers ?

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Ah, so this is actually a different case. If there are no databases, the screenshot would look like this:

You can see "No entries" text in my case (there is truly no database). In your case, the "discover" action actually failed and therefore you don't see anything. There is nothing wrong with your backup, I checked that. Let me follow up internally on this and will get back to you.

Thanks,
    Petr

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Thanks Petr for the response .

When I mean something wrong with the RestoreBackups, I mean in broad sense, not referring to the exact procedure/function/module that makes the restoration

In your case, the "discover" action actually failed and therefore you don't see anything. There is nothing wrong with your backup, I checked that. Let me follow up internally on this and will get back to you.

as you say, the backup is correctly make (I check the zip file several times that contain the bacpac) but the restore interface does not recognize the db within.

looking forward, and happy to help

thanks to you,

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:05 AM
  • I've followed up on this internally to make sure that this experience will get better in terms of error handling. However, it is still not clear what went wrong in your case. We will contact your directly to narrow this down as I need more information and access to the account. Please wait for a ping from our support.

Thanks,
    Petr

Monday, August 18, 2014 7:23 PM
  • @ppGrnd Pleaase contact me via email and I will get you connected with Petr to investigate your condition. My email:

DAVIDLAM

AT

Microsoft.com

Thanks!

David Lamb

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:47 PM