none
Fixing reverse hebrew chars RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have 2 GPS devices: a chinese GPS device, based on WinCE 6.0 embedded, and Mio C520, based on WinCE 5.

I've installed MioPocket on both, and translate some of the words to hebrew. 

In the Mio GPS the hebrew turn out just fine, while in the Chinese one - the hebrew is 'backwards', meaning if for ex. suppose to be "Hello" - It'll show "olleH".

This is how my both GPS's looks for now (on the left is the Mio, to the right is the Chinese..)

Is there's any way to fix the problem in the Chinese device?

Sunday, March 11, 2012 11:40 AM

All replies

• My guess is that the Chinese device is rendering right-to-left. I would say that it's doubtful that you can flip a switch and change the rendering direction. If the device happened to have multiple language support, you could choose English and then change the text. Alternatively, you could reverse all of your strings!

Paul T.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:21 PM
  • My guess is that the Chinese device is rendering right-to-left.

Paul T.

Did you ment "left-to-right"? Because I wish it has render right-to-left, that would solve all my problems.. Hebrew is a RTL, and right now the font direction is LTR. And by "multiple language support" did you ment to the Regional Setting in the control panel? Because I've tried to change the settings over there to Hebrew, and still - no go.

I tought already about reversing the strings, thing is this not solving my problem with writing new docs in wordpad, for example... Writing direction is still LTR..

BTW, I looked around in the file system of my Chinese GPS, since in the original menu (not MioPocket) Hebrew was displayed just fine. I found two interesting files on it: SetLanguage.exe and Arab.dll

I wonder if one of those files (maybe both) are in charge of displaying text in RTL direction, but because of my limit programming skills - I can't figure out... Maybe I can get some help here? Here are both files in one RAR file: Files from my GPS

Any help will be much appriciated!!
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Yes, I got my words backed up! I'm not familiar with either of those components, so far as I can remember. Have a look here and on the pages linked from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms903796.aspx

It's possible that you can change how the text is rendered, but that would depend on the presence of various operating system *executable* components which can be included or excluded at the whim of the device manufacturer.

Good luck,

Paul T.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:57 PM
  • This looks a classic problem of the Chinese device's OS not having the Unicode Script Processor for Complex Scripts, which the Mio device obviously has. If this is the case, there is no fix for you but get the device maker add this component to the OS design.
    • Proposed as answer by Avi Kcholi Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:43 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Sorry for my late response, couldn't get to this earlier..

Ok, I believe you guys probably discovered why my Chinese device isn't displaying text in the right direction for RTL language.

Both of you talks about the Unicode Script Processor for Complex Scripts, so it's probably it.

Thing is, like I mentioned before - the device is capable of displaying Hebrew in the right direction, with the original menu of the device.

Probalby because of the SetLanguage.exe file I found on it. Anyone have any experience with this file? 

Turn out that SetLanguage.exe (by Lenovo Beijing Ltd.) depends on libraries
    Arab.dll, MultiLanDll.dll, ApicalDrvApi.dll, AppLoginDll.dll, MFC80U.dll and COREDLL.dll.

Source of this conclusion is over here:http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=144442

Again, any help will much appreciated.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:24 AM