MSDTC -install fails to reinstall Distributed Transaction Coordinator (Windows Vista) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Initially I had problems using 'dcomcnfg.'  Every time I went to DTC in the treelist, I would get the error message below:

An error occurred while processing the last operation.
    Error code 8004e00F - Com+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction
    Coordinator

The event log may contain additional troubleshooting information.

After trying to battle with permissions, I decided to follow the reinstallation procedure in KB891801 (How to reinstall Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator on a computer that is running Windows XP), understanding that these instructions may not exactly apply to Vista, I thought thought I'd take a chance that they would be similar enough.  It appears as though the un-install worked, but now it turns out I'm having some problems reinstalling MSDTC under Windows Vista (Business) after using the msdtc -uninstall (which sucsessfully removed the Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service).

When I went to reinstall via:

msdtc -install from the command prompt, I wasn't given any feedback of whether the attempt was successful or not, but when I did a net start msdtc I received the Error "The Service name is invalid."  And if I check the Services control panel, the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service is still not present.

Then I thought I would remove/reinstall SQL Server 2005, as well as install the dotnet 3.0 framework with the hopes that it would reinstall MSDTC.  Neither was successful, and it doesn't look like System Restore was turned on.

Please Help!

Thanks,

Jason Walters

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

• The error code -2147024894 (80070002) maps to "Path not found".  It looks like one or more security registry values are missing.  Can you check if the following registry values are present on your machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC\

AllowOnlySecureRpcCalls [1] REG_DWORD

FallbackToUnsecureRPCIfNecessary [0] REG_DWORD

TurnOffRpcSecurity [0] REG_DWORD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC\Security

AccountName [NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService] REG_SZ

DomainControllerState [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccess [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessAdmin [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessClients [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessTransactions [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessInbound [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessOutbound [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessTip [0] REG_DWORD

XaTransactions [0] REG_DWORD

If there are missing values, can you recreate them, set them to the default value which is in brackets[], and then run msdtc.exe -install.

Thanks,

Vik

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

The installation/uninstallation routines for MSDTC have changed on Vista.  Msdtc.exe -install traces failures to %Windir%\DtcInstall.log.  Do you see any errors in this file?

-Vik

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Hi Vik,

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, it looks like following three lines go together.

04-10-2007 15:39 : DTC Install error = -2147024894, InstallDtcOnNT: Failed to set the DTC Security Configuration options, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (1269)

04-10-2007 15:39 : DTC Install error = -2147467259, InstallDTC: failed InstallDtcOnNT, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (589)

04-10-2007 15:39 : DTC Install error = -2147467259, CNTService::InstallDtc failed, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtc\src\cservice.cpp (193)

Thanks again for you help, I really appreciate it.

Jason

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:13 PM
  • The error code -2147024894 (80070002) maps to "Path not found".  It looks like one or more security registry values are missing.  Can you check if the following registry values are present on your machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC\

AllowOnlySecureRpcCalls [1] REG_DWORD

FallbackToUnsecureRPCIfNecessary [0] REG_DWORD

TurnOffRpcSecurity [0] REG_DWORD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC\Security

AccountName [NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService] REG_SZ

DomainControllerState [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccess [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessAdmin [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessClients [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessTransactions [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessInbound [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessOutbound [0] REG_DWORD

NetworkDtcAccessTip [0] REG_DWORD

XaTransactions [0] REG_DWORD

If there are missing values, can you recreate them, set them to the default value which is in brackets[], and then run msdtc.exe -install.

Thanks,

Vik

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:48 AM
  • Thank you so much Vik!

That was absolutely the problem.  I recreated those entries by hand and when I ran msdtc with the install switch I knew I was in good shape when it took several seconds longer to execute.  I'm somewhat surprised the -install switch doesn't re-create those entries if necessary, but that's okay, we have a winner!

Thanks again!

Jason Walters

Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Thanks very much,

In list service I saw The Distributed Transaction Coordinator, it appears.

Great you!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:24 AM
  • Thanks!  This was just what I needed to fix a different problem.  I couldn't get SP2 installed for Notification Services.  I was getting an error: "Transaction Manager is not Available".  I  Traced that to an event log entry "MS DTC path %1 not found"

After running the MSDTC -install I was able to start the DTC service and complete my SP2 update.  I think the problem was caused when I installed Frameworks 3.0 which I really don't need at the moment.  Not sure but this fixed it.

thanks,

-ron cicotte

http://www.summerstreet.com

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:04 PM
  • Please, if someone could help me as well, I'd be so thrilled!  I too get the same messages in my event manager.  I have NO idea why I have IIS turned on, how I turned it on or why and what I'm doing with a distributed link or transaction coordinator - and Yes, I am very familiar with computer systems - well, maybe not THAT familiar - I'm not running a website server from my home office.  My sites are all hosted through large hosting companies.  I don't even recall installing SQL server. 

So, is there a reason that these problems, messages are going after me, bothering and slowing down my computer, keeping me up at 4:00 AM at night to write posts like this?  Is there someone out there who would be, or will be kind enough to explain to me what I've done to deserve these fine problems?  Perhaps I installed some free programs that Microsoft sent me to test?  Aha! the devil?  I just don't know!! all I know is that I've got a system that just doesn't seem as stable as it should, that sends me more events now with red and yellow icons, which we all know cannot be good.  - any icon in that area of a computer is always a warning....

So, anyone out there willing to help??? PLease, do so. I've not left an email address, as I couldn't figure out how to put in one and not have it harvested. So, I'll put it in here, and hope someone sees it.! missrika@(e a r t h l__ k  .  net) -- (I think everyone's heard of that isp)

thank you in advance!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Very interesting.

I did a full backup to DVD and then a restore and was being hit with "MS DTCconsole program stopped working and was closed" shortly after startup. I noticed that several other related services were set to "delayed start", presumably to allow dependent processes to complete, so I set MSDTC to delayed as well, but no luck. I found another forum where a user said he simply disabled it, but this seems like a bit of a cop-out, and eventually would sneek up on me.

Your QUESTION had enough information in it for me to glean:

msdtc -uninstall

(resulted in):

07-09-2008 21:35 : DTC Install error = -2147024894, In RemoveDtc, call to RegDeleteKey failed, d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (1365)
    07-09-2008 21:35 : DTC Install error = -2147024894, In RemoveDtc, call to RegDeleteKey failed, d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (1388)

then:

msdtc -install

(resulted in):

07-09-2008 21:35 : DTC Install error = 0, Created MsDtc Service. Msdtc Service will be running as NetworkService, d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (1609)

then:

net start msdtc

(resulted in a general command line response that it was starting the process.)

so far so good, no crashes. this is the longest it has been running successfully. And I haven't even had to create the registry entries in question.

Thanks for the good question! Even if it fails again during startup, you got some good solid responses and it all showed good troubleshooting techniques.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Thanks Vik this did the trick for me as well.  I ran into the same issue and this solved it.  Thanks again.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:13 AM
  • i'm not sure were to go to input the command lines or check if the correct stuff is running . i'm new to vista geos ill just have to live with the problem. or change back to xp.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

Urgent help needed.

Can't start MSDTC on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.

I tried this:

msdtc -uninstall

(resulted in):

03-12-2009 16:27 : DTC Install error = -2147023824, In RemoveDtc, call to DeleteService failed, d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (1336)

then:

msdtc -install

(resulted in):

03-12-2009 16:27 : DTC Install error = 1072, InstallDtcOnNT: Failed to change the configuration of MSDTC service., d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (1568)
    03-12-2009 16:27 : DTC Install error = -2147467259, InstallDTC: failed InstallDtcOnNT, d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\deployment.cpp (822)
    03-12-2009 16:27 : DTC Install error = -2147467259, CNTService::InstallDtc failed, d:\rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtc\src\cservice.cpp (193)

then:

net start msdtc

The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service is starting.
    The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I have similar problem as the above, on WindowsServer 2008; can't start DTC....

The registry has all keys, tried intall and unistall - still can't start DTC.

Anybody resolved this?

Thanks!

Monday, March 16, 2009 8:13 PM
  • I am trying this unsuccessfuly on server 2008 standard

the event log shows only one mesage - could not install the MSDTC service.

this install log file - DtcInstall - shows this line
    08-27-2009 11:30 : DTC Install error = -2147023179, WriteToEventLogger failed, d:\longhorn\com\complus\dtc\shared\util\basetminstance.cpp (1929)

What can be done?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:31 PM
  • I am trying this unsuccessfuly on server 2008 standard

the event log shows only one mesage - could not install the MSDTC service.

this install log file - DtcInstall - shows this line
    08-27-2009 11:30 : DTC Install error = -2147023179, WriteToEventLogger failed, d:\longhorn\com\complus\dtc\shared\util\basetminstance.cpp (1929)

What can be done?

I am having the exact same issue, except my DrcInstall.log file is not updated. No messages in it, but I get the event log error - Could not install the MSDTC service.

Help Me Please.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:27 PM
  • If any body else is having this issue with Server 2008 and SQL I did the following to make it work.

1. Checked reg entry's from Vik's post. They where correct
    2. Command prompt as admin ran msdtc -uninstall then msdtc -install was able to start the service then. Fixed the issue.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:28 PM
  • yep..same problem with CADdeveloper's. On Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise

Solved

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:24 PM