none
Update Management - Advanced patching sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for Azure Automation to be able to patch using the below methodology as this isn't possible with SCCM currently:

1. Stop a service on Server C
    2. Patch Server Group A
    3. Patch Server Group B (when Server A has been patched and rebooted)
    4. Start a service on Server C

How can i achieve this? Would I set up two update deployments as the below:

• Update Deployment 1: Pre-script to stop the service > Patch Server Group A > Post-script to start Update deployment 2
    • Update Deployment 2: Patch Server Group B > Post-script to start service

Or would it all be in one runbook to do everything and no update deployments?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot do that in one runbook as the update process has just one pre-script and one post-script and the servers patched between them are patched at the same time. I would assume that you want to proceed to Group B only if group A was successful. I cannot remember if the post-script was executed if there was an error in in the deployment but it will be good idea to to the following:

- Create Update Deployment 1: Pre-script to stop the service > Patch Server Group A > Post-script to start. In the post-script if update Deployment 1 was successful create Update Deployment 2 with the needed parameters and pre-post scripts. That way Update Deployment 2 will be created and executed only when  Update Deployment 1 was successful. As you know when creating update deployments they should be scheduled at least 5-10 minutes in the future.

Mark this reply as answer if it helps you.

Friday, August 16, 2019 5:38 AM